• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

strut tubes

boldtu

I didn't quite understand your problem? Are you not getting the shock out from strut or what? There should be some method that will work so you don't have to buy new struts.

In my terms the strut tube is integral part of strut but I'm not sure how the correct english terms are.

Tommy

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

Presuming you have the strut tube itself separated from the steering arm that holds the ball joint...and the tube's out of the car.

Bore a 1/4" hole in the center of the bottom of the tube (actually the casting that's welded to the tube itself), and use a long 1/4" drift to pound on the bottom of the strut insert. That might be enough to break it loose, and the hole won't threaten the casting's structural integrity--too small. After you break it loose, you can plug it with a chunk of lead, or if you want to be elegant, tap it for a 6mm bolt.

It wouldn't hurt to heat the tube befoe you start whanging away with the drift and hammer, either...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I haven't been able to get the strut tube separated from the strut. I have contacted 2002 AD they quoted me $75 for an old one. Does anyone have one I can buy from them, or know where I can get one in the Los Angeles area.

thanks

If you are talking about the bolt that holds the strut into the tube then find an 02 friendly shop, and ask them to separate it for you. That happened to me. They had to put it in a HUGE vise, use a torch and then it took TWO big guys and alot of effort about 15 minutes to do it.....I never wold have gotten that off the strut. new insert went in like butter....

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com