• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will an e30 325i/e/is carrier fit in an e21 or 2002 case?

Tbone

NO, been there tried that won't work. The 325 uses a medium size carrier housing for the LSD that is too wide for the e21 or 02 case.

The e30 318i LSD uses a smaller case that the carrier can be used from. I've never done it but that's what you need to check into.

I have a 325 e30 LSD carrier and it will not fit.

Todd

post-6649-13667602721097_thumb.jpg

"Common sense isn't common"

For Jim and CD,

I may not be correct in using the term Carrier. I am refering to only the part of the differential that "carries" the LSD disk packs. This unit carries the ring (crown) gear and directs torque to the half shafts. The case for the differentials is the same size for either the open or lsd version. For this reason the lsd "carrier" can be relocated into an open differentail.

I my case I was looking for a lsd carrier that I could transplant into my 3.64 open differential. This would mean that i could use the same case, not have to remove the pinion, and transplant my 3.64 ring onto the lsd carrier. After the correct contact pattern is established I'd have a 3.64 lsd instead of an open.

Sorry if this is confusing anyone, you are correct that the parts listing shows the part we are talking about as the differential, but I get confused when talkin about the internal parts of the rear drive unit.

The diagram for the differential calls the housing the "transmission housing" so I guess I'll go on being confused from time to time.....

Todd

"Common sense isn't common"

.....whats a " carrier " ?

Maybe the correct term is differential.

Carrier is the correct term. The differential unit is inside the carrier although most people refer to the entire assembly as the differential.

e46-330ci, e46-325ci Vert., e36-328is, e30-325is, M20-2002, K110, K75, '71 Jeepster Commando

A second 'no'-

but the E30 and E36 318 carriers will physically fit in the E21 case

( I tried one)

THe cautionary tale is that I didn't try to set the gears up,

so I can't confirm that you can. It all LOOKED the same, and

the carrier's the same side dimension, but I never

checked that the ring gear mounting face was in the same place.

I will next time I swap a gear set. I have a lot of these to do...

sadly, there is no market for a 3.91 or 3.64 open 318 diff...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

• 1 month later...