• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stalling.....and erratic idle

B-Doon

Hello everyone! I haven't posted in a while, but I'm still here 'lurking' everyday... So, I'm coming to you with my latest issue....I think I know what the problem is, but I still want advice on where to start...

Anyway, the car seems to 'miss' or hesitate under load... Today I went out and noticed that the rpms were shaky, and when I braked to a stop, the car wanted to stall....with a little gas, and a tug on the choke, I could keep it idiling steady at 2 to 2.5k rpms....but anything lower than that and it would stall....

So, I think it's the timing/mixture, and not a clogged jet in the solex...It was rebuilt less than 1000k miles ago....However, I'm not sure why it would've gone outta wack so quickly... Could a fan belt that's too tight be the contributing to the problem?

For a little background it's a 72 w/ a 1bbl solex, it was running fine before I swapped in a new 320i radiator, thermostat, removed the old a/c stuff....

Thanks in advance for your responses!

Brian

72 inka

72inka2.jpg

and when I braked to a stop, the car wanted to stall....with a little gas, and a tug on the choke, I could keep it idiling steady at 2 to 2.5k rpms....but anything lower than that and it would stall....

does the car become more difficult to keep running the harder you press on the brakes? Had a VERY similar problem not long ago, was the brake booster going south..

an e30, an e12, a /5, and, of course, a 2002.

Per the previous post--bit of trash in the idle jet will provide the symptioms described. The "idle jet" actually provides most of the fuel to the engine up to about 2500 rpm or so before the main jet takes over. My '69 came with factory installed trash in the fuel system that constantly plugged up the idle jet. Took over a year and a filter to finally get the system clean.

Second thought--failing diaphragm in the dizzy's vacuum advance. I'll give you a goofy idle--never the same idle speed or smoothness twice. Quick to diagnose...suck on the vac advance hose: no resistance=bad diaphragm.

Hope it's one or the other; easy to fix

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Solex single, I'm still guessing clogged idle jet. Easy enough to check.

I agree, I would still check the idle jet first....pretty easy to do. Mine does the same thing, cleaning the idle jet usually fixes it.

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours