• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

valve spring compressor

AlaskaMike

Can you point me to a product I can order online which you know will work for compressing valve springs on M10 heads? Thanks : )

Look at the bewildering variety on sears:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/search_10153_12605?keyword=valve+spring&x=0&y=0

I pounded out the rocker shafts tonight, at the dining room table. I go to remove a rocker, tilt it a bit and a rocker compression spring flies straight across the table and lands on my wifes right arm, clothed in a rather loved shirt with now an oily spring pattern on it.......

I bought one of the "little" ones when I did mine. It cannot get on the springs (Intake or exhaust) on # 4 (at least I think it's # 4 - the cylinder closest to the dizzy), because of how close they are to the side wall of the head. So - I bought one like this:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00999887000P

except it was from Snap-On, and it was expensive. But - it was able to get on the spring and compress it enough to remove the keepers and get the spring out.

As for re-installation - I can't help there. The mechanic/machinist that did my work insisted on re-installing all of the valve springs for me, so he could shim them perfectly, and I let him.

HTH,

Ken

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

check out goodson.. I use and recomend a CF-1400 which will allow access to all tiny valves. It's designed to work on dohc heads so it will do a m10 head easily and with the open foot you can place the keepers in easily.

I've also used a CF-140 on m10 heads as well. You have to reach around the whole head and it's a bit cumbersome but it will work. The ones close to the center cam bearing bridge and the back ones sometimes snag the tool but you can wiggle it around it.

any of the big "C" clamps works perfect, i have an old one similar to KDS380 and works wonder.

#47627 is cheap and sure would work in all angles. all other chuby ones dont allow to remove #1 and 4 exhaust springs.

2006 530xi, 1974 2002 Automatic summer DD
1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp
1986 yota pick-up, 2006 Smart FT diesel

This thing is the HEAT!!!!

HEY you steal my idea...i am doing the exact same thing...lol...or i steal it from you ??

mine has long studs so i can screw them in to push on the tip of the rocker, so i can release them one after the other.

1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp

robT @ 2002haus knows where to get those.. sorry didn't read the OP question.. thought he wanted to remove and install valves not change cams.

Pat. Your idea is good but it will mark the ends of the rockers. The tool pushes down on the excentric.

I use the KDS385 version-

it's tough enough for stock springs.

But anything much tougher just distorts it.

I was going to buy a more- butch one, but everything

that's tough enough is pretty bulky in the valve end.

So one of these years I'm gonna make a custom thingy that

fits BMW valves really well.

And don't go poundin' on your rocker shafts- they'll mushroom

and mess up the head...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

robT @ 2002haus knows where to get those.. sorry didn't read the OP question.. thought he wanted to remove and install valves not change cams.

Pat. Your idea is good but it will mark the ends of the rockers. The tool pushes down on the excentric.

this is exactly what i said, the tip of the rocker is obviously the excentric.

1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp

This thing is the HEAT!!!!

HEY you steal my idea...i am doing the exact same thing...lol...or i steal it from you ??

mine has long studs so i can screw them in to push on the tip of the rocker, so i can release them one after the other.

Haha. No you stole it from BMW. I have an original BMW tool that looks just like that one. Pat if you need measurements. Let me know.

You guys are awesome as usual, thanks. My intention is total removal of everything from the head, then replacement.

The locking frame is neat, but I use the Shade-Tree method of cam removal and installation since I am tearing everything down. The cam just fell out once I was on that last rocker.

> And don't go poundin' on your rocker shafts- they'll mushroom

> and mess up the head...

Those Shade-Tree articles said no tapping, instead recommending a good pounding, using a 3 lb hammer and a steel 9/16th inch rod to drive with.

That is bad advice then?

You might consider an aluminum rod/drift . . . being softer, it won't mushroom the end of the steel rocker shaft. (Watch that the aluminum rod doesn't mushroom beyond the diameter of the rocker shaft, or you'll score the next bore you try to push the rod through . . . of course, you can just grind the rod down if it gets big)

I was taking apart a scrap head for the parts once,

and the drift 'shroomed out the head so bad it blasted apart

the end of the head. But the drift

might have been smaller than the 9/16" specified...

Just what happened to me.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL