• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What size compressor do I need ?

Guest Anonymous

The bigger the better. You need storage versus psi, because that pressure needs to last. Problem is storage generally takes up space. Look into electric driven tools. Prices have come down a little so that you can get an electric impact wrench. Not the same thing, but will probably be all you need and less space required.

Good luck and tell us what you do!

(I believe ultra pitchman B.Mays operates off of his own compressed air.)

i have an upright 60 gallon 7hp cheapy campbell hausfield. i forget specs but i wanna say its 14GPM??? when i get more loot im going to buy a serious compressor. this thing is fine for running an impact and such but i have a big ass standing blast cabinet that just sucks the air. my compressor runs non stop while im bead blasting. other than that its been a good compressor. get more than you think you need if you can afford it

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

I'm with BLUNT on this.Get as big as you can afford. However,today I've been using a small pancake unit that I borrowed from a friend with a nail gun to install floor molding in the house. (I bought the molding & stained it for my bride for Christmas '07,bought her a mitre box too. Looks like I have to do everything,at least she's moving the furniture.)

I have a small 5hp, 30 gallon Campbell Hausfield I bought on a going out of business sale. I keep hoping it will die so I can ask for a bigger on for a gift from the wife.

It just keeps running. It handles the air tools just fine. It really suffers when I try and sand blast with it. It also suffers a bit when I use the die grinder for an extended period of time.

Get as big as you can, weigh 120v to the 240v. When you do get it, put a pipe with elbow from the bottom drain. Then put a ball valve on that. Make the ball valve easy to reach so you can drain the moisture from the tank at least weekly. This will make your tank last much longer and not rust quickly.

Investigate what water seperators and oilers you may need on the supply side. Moisture through air tools is like sand going through a gas motor. Keep the moisture out of your tools and drop a drop of light oil in the supply coupling when you use your air tooks. If you do not have an automatic oiler, that is the only lubrication they will get.

Northern Tools, Tractor Supply, brick and mortar stores or TP Tools, On-line have good choices.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

old--3 hp, 30 gal...and it runs all my air tools just fine. 220 volt unit and is the old-fashioned belt drive, twin cylinder compressor. I'd stay away from direct drive units--they don't last nearly as long.

Had to replace the on/off switch on mine last year and the guy at the compressor shop told me that they had rings and bearings for my compressor if I ever needed 'em. Those old tools are really buiilt to last.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I have a small 5hp, 30 gallon Campbell Hausfield I bought on a going out of business sale. I keep hoping it will die so I can ask for a bigger on for a gift from the wife.

It just keeps running. It handles the air tools just fine. It really suffers when I try and sand blast with it. It also suffers a bit when I use the die grinder for an extended period of time.

Get as big as you can, weigh 120v to the 240v. When you do get it, put a pipe with elbow from the bottom drain. Then put a ball valve on that. Make the ball valve easy to reach so you can drain the moisture from the tank at least weekly. This will make your tank last much longer and not rust quickly.

Investigate what water seperators and oilers you may need on the supply side. Moisture through air tools is like sand going through a gas motor. Keep the moisture out of your tools and drop a drop of light oil in the supply coupling when you use your air tooks. If you do not have an automatic oiler, that is the only lubrication they will get.

Northern Tools, Tractor Supply, brick and mortar stores or TP Tools, On-line have good choices.

what bill said...

plus, if you don't want to go deaf, don't get the direct drive "oilless" compressors you find everywhere. extremely loud. i have one, but i built it into a sound insulated compartment under my workbench.

2xM3