• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tips on how to remove heater control bezel?

blue7500

I'm having a heck of a time trying to pull off the right-side aluminum heater control slider bezel off my '69 2002. The factory manual says that it just pulls forward when you pull the knob off, but I'm getting really frustrated because I've bent the thing in a couple places trying that. I'm using a right-angle dental tool to get around the edges to pull it forward, and while it's looser than it was before, it still seems like it's nowhere close to coming off.

I've heard people mention that other years have screws or nuts attaching it from the back, but a quick inspection with a mirror and flashlight showed nothing. Car is 7/69 production if the changeover matters or anything.[/i]

Guest Anonymous

at least on the later models it is a press fit. Clean all around the bezel. Remove the plastic tips by pulling straight out. Then use a nylon or plastic 'hook' at the extremes of the slots. Work it out a little at a time left and right. The dirt is probably holding them in. A '1/2" length of 3/32" plastic with a notch made in the side is a decent tool. Pull straight forward (backward) and it should come out.

that bezel by pulling from the front. That only works on cars with illuminated controls (mid-72 and later, with 4 levers). The early ones remove from the backside with itty bitty nuts and are a gold-plated PITA to both remove and replace. The studs that hold the nuts were snipped off with bolt cutters at the factory, so the end threads are deformed. Suggest you rethread those threads before reinstalling.

cheers, and good luck

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite