• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about the performance of my new 2002....

jrhone

OK..so I drove it from The bay area to Orange County...about 400+ miles. It ran smoothly, but a few things jumped out at me. One, its not a very free revving engine. I remember my previous 2002 revving harder/faster and higher..this one seemed to shut down about 4000 rpm....in all gears...Fuel delivery maybe? It has has a good amount of valve noise....didnt remembar that either from the previous 02....then it slipped when running quickly through the gear, never slipped on downshift or when shifting slowly....clutch or throw out bearing? I plan a 5spd conversion soon anyway so I will do a clutch job when that happens as well.....just wanted to ask about those 2 things. It has a Weber carb on it, have not looked at it closely, stock exhaust manifold.....Oh the car smokes a bit under HEAVY decelaration, but never any other time....maybe valves? Its day 2 of the ownership of this car and I cant keep a smile off my face!!!!!!

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

OK..so I drove it from The bay area to Orange County...about 400+ miles. It ran smoothly, but a few things jumped out at me. One, its not a very free revving engine. I remember my previous 2002 revving harder/faster and higher..this one seemed to shut down about 4000 rpm....in all gears...Fuel delivery maybe? It has has a good amount of valve noise....didnt remembar that either from the previous 02....then it slipped when running quickly through the gear, never slipped on downshift or when shifting slowly....clutch or throw out bearing? I plan a 5spd conversion soon anyway so I will do a clutch job when that happens as well.....just wanted to ask about those 2 things. It has a Weber carb on it, have not looked at it closely, stock exhaust manifold.....Oh the car smokes a bit under HEAVY decelaration, but never any other time....maybe valves? Its day 2 of the ownership of this car and I cant keep a smile off my face!!!!!!

The valves shouldn't be too loud, but a mild ticking is normal. What carb does it have on it right now? How is the timing? Usually, if you have trouble revving over 4000 RPM then its related to the secondary opening on a progressive carb.

Ok...I will look....I THINK its a weber...it got a square air cleaner on it. I will look exactly though.

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

Ok...I will look....I THINK its a weber...it got a square air cleaner on it. I will look exactly though.

IF its a 32/36, then make sure that the throttle linkage is opening all the way.

hang out the door with your foot on the floor (stationary of course), and see if you can open the throttle any more.

Also, make sure you have the usual new plugs, dist cap, rotor, points, CONDENSER (little bastards).

I had a similar problem on my '75 past 4k rpms, and after replacing all the above, and adjusting the throttle, the little four banger runs like a champ

'75 2002

Photobucket

as suggested above/before :

foot to the carpet on gas pedal - listen & LOOK

at the rear of the carb with the air cleaner removed

to see & hear if the full-throttle linkage is touching

the carb FULL-OPEN-STOP.

IGNITION TIMING SECOND !

AND VALVE ADJUSTMENTS - make sure cam lubrication banjo

screw is tight in the center of the oil feed tube.

COLD 0.006" ...0.008"

02timingmarkandheadboltsequence.jpg

02IGNITIONTIMING.jpg

and I assume a BMW Owner's Handbook wasn't in the glovebox?

so here's some info to keep you busy getting to know your new car.

Welcome and Have SAFE fun.

02SERVICEDATA1and2.jpg

02lubchart1.jpg

02lubchart2.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"