• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tii engine update (now running!)

jgerock

Here are a couple more pics (some from today). I adjusted the valves, added plugs, wires and the cap, then coolant and oil. She's ready to fire!

Note I changed the "Blue" coil to a "Red" one. The notes on the coil call for an external 1.8 ohm resistor (which I have).

Also note how the air cleaner doesn't line up with the throttle body. I've tried to bend the (2) brackets, but it makes the rear snorkel touch the intake. The air cleaner now looks like crap compared to the engine. That's on my list to re-do, along with a new fog lamp relay (Hella plastic one with tab for mounting lower in the fenderwell).

Thanks for the info on the chassis-to-block ground and starter boot. I'll have to look for those and install them.

My cold start harness sheath seems too long and bunches the cold start harness and the thermo-time switch harness together (my old one routed the cold start wiring from below the # 4 intake runner).

I've also attached a picture of how my (original) temp. switch wire was routed low along the block and up thru the intake. It's zip tied to the KF air hose.

Cheers!

post-8235-13667598964168_thumb.jpg

post-8235-13667598966025_thumb.jpg

post-8235-13667598967598_thumb.jpg

post-8235-1366759896911_thumb.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

That is basically how I had mine. I had actually moved the two clips to where yours were Jim.

But since my harness, temp sender and cold start, were original, they shared a harness until the cold start harness popped out. I threaded the cold start harness under the plenum between the #3 and #4 runners so it would come out at the cold start valve.

Now, I do not know what is correct. Dang!

The way I just threaded mine on the driver's side in among the intake plenums looks neater, but I can not imagine BMW taking the time to make that run. The way yours is Jim seems the way BMW would do it.

Oh for an official documentation manual. Then the purists would really go crazy.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

Page 8 of the BMW tii Fuel injection System manual (from tii registry) shows the thermo-time switch wiring harness coming from the valve cover. I believe most (if not all) of the pics in that manual are from a 72tii.

I will look thru it again for the cold start harness wiring.

Jim Gerock

I went through the stuff I have, most motor pictures are when the motor is out of the car and minus any electrical connections.

The touring brochure has a small p[icture of a tii motor and the harness for the cold start valve and the temp sender is exactly like your picture Jim. One small exception, the harness goes under the breather hose.

Now, tomorrow, I go change it back.

Tiienginefromtouringbrochue.jpg

FAQ member #5

Sorry for all of the highjacks Jim

I never knew there was a boot on the positive starter cable. When Scott asked, I went back and looked at some photos I took of the Largo/Laurel car (Jim knows the car) and sure enough, the boot is there. You can follow the cable to the starter and see it here.

It looks similar to the boots on the coil to distributor cable.

This car even has the grommet in the bracket that holds the positive battery cable too. It has the clip that holds the fuel hose from the fuel filter to the Kugelfischer inlet valve. Those are rare to see.

Learning more every day!

IMG_3004.jpg

This is a great thread

I have always wondered about the routing of the cold start harness on my car. Are the valve cover clips NLA?

Bill can you copy that clip for the fuel line on the kfish with a paper clip or something? I would love to have a model to build one.

Thanks

70 M2 2.5L 

Not for sure about the clips. They would be easy to reproduce with thin sheet metal and some tin snips.

The clip, I made about two dozen a few years ago, had them plated and gave them away for contribution to the site.

I made a jig on a 2x6 and inserted some 1/2 pieces of pipe in it.

I also found some suitable gauge wire and bent them up. If you want me to make you one, not plated though, let me know and will see what I can do this week.

FAQ member #5

Sorry guys.

Don't mind me, just flaunting my ignorance.

I wrenched for several years in Bill Holmes' shop, but apparently didn't learn factory routing very well. My apologies.

machinist - A&P - UAV inspector.

'71 1600 parts car, '71 Nevada tii tribute, '73 Polaris automatic in assembly awaiting 5-speed, 3.90 LS and dual 40s

'61 R27 - '74 R90S - '83 R100RS

there are only a hand full of us that it even makes a difference to.

It was an interesting thread and made me spend some time with the car.

Kris,

Here is the thread on the fuel line clip.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,283050/highlight,/

The orange diagnostic plug on the valve cover (can be seen in the picture from the brochure) still intrigues me. My cars do not have that one, they have the one on the driver's side inner fender.

I asked the other day what the difference was between the two plugs and did not get a response. It would still be good to know.

FAQ member #5

This thread has been fascinating. I've always wondered what the proper routing for the temperature sender and cold start injector should be because running them inside the intake runners (like mine are) never seemed quite right.

Jim, your engine looks really nice!

Matthew

Matthew Cervi
'71 Bavaria

'18 M2

Inspiration for my Tii project - bought it this summer in Corsica and managed to have time this weekend to start stripping for body work and also got her started. There's a problem with the KF pump, but I've got another if it can't be fixed (only fueling on 2 cylinders - the right bank of the pump and it's not the valves).

Any thoughts people? I'm going to fill the pump with injector cleaner, but I don't know if 30 years of gunk could cause this. It did run briefly on 4.

Perhaps one day my engine bay might look as good as yours!

post-149-13667598976392_thumb.jpg

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

The BMW Service manual on the KF system also shows (on page 8) a special rubber boot for the thermo-time switch. This one allows the wires to come in from an angle from the valve cover clips.

Another page (18) shows (2) sets of wires from the firewall at # 4. One goes up toward the valve cover and another goes low under the # 4 intake tube. I'm assuming these are the thermo-time and cold start wire sets (not sure though).

Page 17 has a good overall shot of the engine from the driver's side.

Bill W: Page 15 has a photo checking the fuel pressure that you can just make out the 2nd diagnostic socket on the valve cover. The engine pic I took of the rusty Largo tii also shows the (2) sockets (but not the thermo-time switch clips on the valve cover). Another shot I have shows the KF pump fuel line clip and + battery cable isolator grommet (my car has both).

Any tii owner's out there - PLEASE go to the tii registry and download this manual (and a companion VIDEO). My sincere thanks to Bob Murphy and Keith Kreeger for this info and website.

ps: The Behr A/C installation manual and spare parts manual is also there for downloading.

post-8235-13667599010931_thumb.jpg

post-8235-13667599012775_thumb.jpg

post-8235-13667599013827_thumb.jpg

post-8235-13667599014775_thumb.jpg

post-8235-13667599015858_thumb.jpg

Jim Gerock