• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

POLL: Do you buy your tires through FAQ Tire Rack link?

robspeed

Do you buy your tires through FAQ Tire Rack link?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Do you buy your tires through FAQ Tire Rack link?

• Yes.. to support the FAQ and/or for low TR prices
    • No.. TR doesnt have what I need
    • No.. TR's prices can be beat! (do tell us where!)
    • No.. I prefer my local tire shop

Discount Tire. Because they will mount and balance for free. They will also repair and rotate the tires for free for life. The cost of shipping from TR is about the same as Tax in Cali. I usually only buy from TR when I'm buying both wheels and tires already mounted. Then, it is a great deal and just bolt them on.

74 2002 Restore/Upgrade Project - M2

08 Alpina B7

Discount Tire. Because they will mount and balance for free. They will also repair and rotate the tires for free for life. The cost of shipping from TR is about the same as Tax in Cali. I usually only buy from TR when I'm buying both wheels and tires already mounted. Then, it is a great deal and just bolt them on.

Hmmm... The cheapest they've got in my size is a Hankook Winter iPike @ $66 each ($264) plus $52 for installation/balancing, plus $19.25 for tax. Total of $346 or about $125 more than I paid. Minus about $50 i will have to pay for mount and balance, and I'm still ahead by $75 or so, and so is the FAQ. ;)

why or why not?? :)

(yes, im really just pimping the link... :D)

quote]

Well I'm glad you are pimping the link, Rob. I have bought at least 4 sets in as many years and wasn't aware of using the link. I always put in BWM2002FAQ as my source of awareness. Unfortunately, I doubt if they gave you any credit.

I'll use the link next time.

Doug

'73tii Atlantik

why or why not?? :)

(yes, im really just pimping the link... :D)

quote]

Well I'm glad you are pimping the link, Rob. I have bought at least 4 sets in as many years and wasn't aware of using the link. I always put in BWM2002FAQ as my source of awareness. Unfortunately, I doubt if they gave you any credit.

I'll use the link next time.

Doug

'73tii Atlantik

=)

Yes and no...

Yes, I bought the Sumitomos currently on the '02 from Tire Rack and used the link when I did (I think... it was a few years ago). At that time, I was living in Kentucky.

No, in that I recently got exactly the same tires you just did (down to the size) for MY new E30, but I got 'em from my family mechanic/tire guy since I'm back in the area. By the way, those Generals (rebranded Gislaveds) are great in the snow--we had really lousy roads on the way to church this morning, but no sliding or spinning wheels at all.

When it comes time for summer tread for the E30, I feel like I need to give my family-friend mechanic the business if he can get what I want. If not, I'll be ordering from TR via the FAQ link... and having him mount them.

-Dave

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport
'10 Honda Odyssey Family & Stuff Hauler

Yes and no...

Yes, I bought the Sumitomos currently on the '02 from Tire Rack and used the link when I did (I think... it was a few years ago). At that time, I was living in Kentucky.

No, in that I recently got exactly the same tires you just did (down to the size) for MY new E30, but I got 'em from my family mechanic/tire guy since I'm back in the area. By the way, those Generals (rebranded Gislaveds) are great in the snow--we had really lousy roads on the way to church this morning, but no sliding or spinning wheels at all.

When it comes time for summer tread for the E30, I feel like I need to give my family-friend mechanic the business if he can get what I want. If not, I'll be ordering from TR via the FAQ link... and having him mount them.

-Dave

remember you can have TR drop ship the tires to your favorite shop. how much did you pay locally?

remember you can have TR drop ship the tires to your favorite shop. how much did you pay locally?

I paid $296 with mounting, valve stems, balancing and 6% tax. A bit more than you paid, it seems, but not by much. It can be hard to choose between supporting the FAQ and supporting a family friend. I may wind up splitting the difference on the summer and winter sets, since I'm sure he'd install Tire Rack tires for me without a question, and I'm not sure what he can get in the way of H-rated 14" rubber.

By the way, what's the percentage the FAQ gets from the Tire Rack link? Or is it a flat rate thing?

And I could always buy stuff through the FAQ store or just make a donation to the FAQ's coffers...

-Dave

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport
'10 Honda Odyssey Family & Stuff Hauler

Yes, I've bought tires several times though the FAQ, but I don't see how the FAQ gets credit through this. Perhaps I did something wrong, don't know. Seems like you should get some kind of confirmation. I never did.

John Capoccia

Sierra Madre, CA

I paid $296 with mounting, valve stems, balancing and 6% tax. A bit more than you paid, it seems, but not by much. It can be hard to choose between supporting the FAQ and supporting a family friend. I may wind up splitting the difference on the summer and winter sets, since I'm sure he'd install Tire Rack tires for me without a question, and I'm not sure what he can get in the way of H-rated 14" rubber.

By the way, what's the percentage the FAQ gets from the Tire Rack link? Or is it a flat rate thing?

And I could always buy stuff through the FAQ store or just make a donation to the FAQ's coffers...

-Dave

i believe it is 6% cash back to the faq. steve can confirm the latest #s..

Yes, I've bought tires several times though the FAQ, but I don't see how the FAQ gets credit through this. Perhaps I did something wrong, don't know. Seems like you should get some kind of confirmation. I never did.

im pretty sure as long as you click the link from the FAQ site, we (steve) gets credit for it. keep on keepin on!