• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dash light

tatt02

I have a dash light that's on, and I have no idea what it is. I got caught it the rain one day and this light started flickering. I tried to find out what this light was, but I couldn't find an answer anywhere.... i must be retarded. The car is a 1970. Feel free to make me feel stupid.

post-15638-13667598423844_thumb.jpg

Thanks a lot. I'm good on fuel and brake fluid, but the e-brake handle has always felt a little loose when at rest. I drove it a few days ago, and about 15 minutes into the drive it started flickering on..... then it stayed on for the remainder of the day. the little reset button wasn't turning it off either. I'm about to put the car into hibernation for the winter anyway.... i just wanted to make sure it wasn't anything of great importance. thanks again for sparing the knowledge.

US cars. On squarelights, it's also an emergency brake left on reminder, but not on the roundies. And on some Euro cars, it's either a low fuel level or choke left on (I have one of those cables from a Euro 2002), but that was never on US VIN cars. On US '76s only, it was also a "brake bias" warning light, to tell you when one half of the dual brake circuit was generating more hydraulic pressure than the other (indicating a leak or other brake problem).

Check your brake fluid reservoir level, the two wire leading into the cap, and the little float inside the reservoir.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

On my USA 1970 it came on when the emergency brake was pulled as well as when the brake fluid was low. Most of the time the fluid wasn't low but the fluid sensor pin in the fluid cap was stuck. It never came on as a low gas notification.

1974 2002tii Restored (Original Owner) #2782393
2013 Porsche C4S Cab (Original Owner)
BMW CCA #23777

look under your brake reservoir cap for a small electrical contact. this contact is held up by the brake res float. sometimes the 2 become misaligned and the float doesnt hold up the contact. this would cause the light to come on.

» Hugh

» Early 71 '02