• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

3500-4K Stutter Step...........

jgmgti

On acceleration at approx.3500-4K my tii(1972) will miss and the car will

stutter for 500 rpm or so.Past 4K all is strong to 6500.

Any ideas?

jgm

1973 Malaga "ti"2.3 stroker,dual 45s,lots of Alpina content13x6 Superlites bilsteins,Petri Sport ,GTS Seats,Coco Mats,Old Man Style "Patina"....but the old Emily is Fast.

2010 GTI 200 H.P.,dsg ,18"wheels etc.modern daily driver.

That is an unusual condition. Have you checked your fuel pump flow (gpm) and pressure (psi) at the KF pump inlet? What about the pressure maintenance valve for partial clogging? How old is your distributor, coil & plug wires?

Maybe a rpm-limiting rotor (that is partially "stuck")???

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Fresh Fuel pump,re-built K-Fisher,wires,rotor all new and good.

I'm thinking shit gas,maybe crack in rotor?

Thanks for any and all advise is appreciated.

jgm

jgm at starpower dot net

1973 Malaga "ti"2.3 stroker,dual 45s,lots of Alpina content13x6 Superlites bilsteins,Petri Sport ,GTS Seats,Coco Mats,Old Man Style "Patina"....but the old Emily is Fast.

Are you using Premium gas (from a high turnover station)? Maybe just a tank of bad gas.

Carbon tracing inside the distributor cap may also cause some freaky arcing.

Other long shots:

Spring under dist. cap missing

Bad rotor

Plate inside distributor slightly loose

Points bounce/flutter

Valve adjustment slightly off

Spark plug gap slightly off

Also, some cheapo ignition wires are known to be bad right out of the box. The screw-on ends won't have a tight fit to the wire.

Jim Gerock

Thanks,I think I'll start w/dist.cap?and pertronix,loose perhaps?

jgm

*If anyone has any ideas they can call 202-251-0368 and we can discuss.

I installed a Pertronix kit in my tii (old distributor), then pulled it out after I bought a new distributor. I may someday put it in my VW (009).

Maybe one of the thin (cheap) wires on the Pertronix unit is broken, causing the problem. Make sure the wires didn't get exposed when pulling them thru the distributor housing hole.

Are you still running the ballast resistor on the coil? What kind of coil do you have? Does your car have a starter relay next to the coil? Maybe this is bad.

Jim Gerock

the car will stutter

Try these folks - they should be able to help.

http://www.bvss.de/index.php?view=article%3B&catid=4&id=37&tmpl=component&print=1&page=&Itemid=328&option=com_content

Lots of good stuff in Der Kieselstein.

David,great idea,all the poor stuttering Germans,20 min. to decide a simple questionionionion.....you you Know-ww.

jgm

Jim,

I have a red coil and it seems ok the pertronix that is.Maybe if I stare a little longer the answer will come to me.Or a buddy will call........

Post-pone the isssue till Sunday I suppose.

Any body local like to toss in a hand that would be great.

jgm

OTIS,

Thanks,she can be noisey on the 95.

By the way,is there a gear for reverse?

jgm

jgm: I would have called but am busy wrenching on my tii before I forget what goes where. My wife keeps asking when the car is going to run again. Are you home this afternoon?

Now, back to your problem. Since you are using a "red" coil with the Pertronix, do you still have the stock ballast resistor installed? If so, does it get real hot shortly after you start the engine?

Otis: You get good attaboy points for your quirky responses. Ja,Ja,Ja,Ja.

post-8235-1366759841145_thumb.jpg

Jim Gerock

I will be home today,so give a call if you have a few minutes or ??

Sock,resistor and red coil great till a week or so.

Otisimo-the real Otis is a swell guy,helpful and a champion we should all give him a big HOWDY DAVID and any large destructive construction

equip.he likes big f-ing messes.

jgm