• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E21 engine in a 2002

qdessa

I have a rebuilt e21 engine with a metric mechanic head. The head doesn't have a hole for a fuel pump. I want to put this engine in my 74 2002.

What can I use for a fuel pump? Can I use the pump from the underside of the e21? Do I need a new pickup in the tank?

Any help is appreciated.

If youre going to keep the engine fuel injected, the inline fuel pump will be fine. I used the inline pump for my F.I. conversion and it worked fine. If youre going to use a carb, get a universal low presure electric fuel pump. Ive seen them at Kragen for like $40. Remember to use a fuel presure regulator. One with a PSI gauge would be really handy. Good luck.

David

David G.
1989 Volvo 240 Wagon "Da Brick" Daily driver
1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R "Hitomi" Sleeping. Waiting for NEO VVL!!
1976 BMW 2002 "Diana" The never ending project!!!

Yep,

Use a carter 40-70 with a regulator if your using carb(s). If your gonna use the CIS FI from the E21 then you will need the pump (or something similar) from the E21.

You might have to swap the oil pan.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

Better that you use a 2002 oil pan--easy to find and a lot neater installation.

As for the oil pump itself, the pump bodies are identical; only the pickups are different. Thus you can use a 2002 pickup bolted to a 320 oil pump body and it'll work fine. When I was rebuilding my '02 engine, I found a new 320 oil pump cheap and swapped pickups. Works like a charm.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

No, you do, and the oil pump. Or you hammer the e21 pan like a mad man. Your choice.

I forgot about the oil pump. And I just did the e21 hybrid oil pump for my motor!

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

I just did the same as the OP, e21 2L with trans into my '74. Generic fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator (installed last night, it's giving me issues) with gauge, swapped over the intake mani/carb/alternator/oil pan/m3 starter/water pump/fan/valve cover/distributer/oil pump pickup, had to find a coupler for the clutch line to the slave cylinder (male line, male fitting on the cyl) and also fab up a new shifter support arm deal, since the e21 trans had a plug where the threads are on the 2002 trans.

I'm still working out the details though, although the car made the 40 mile drive home from my friend's where I was working on it last night.

David

Flickr

'74 2002 - The project

'98 M3

'04 Duramax 2500HD

Thanks for the info - very helpful. I plan to use a weber carb - the one that is on the car now. My assumption is that the manifold will be a bolt on.

I need to retain the electronic ignition. There isn't a pickup, but I somehow lost the ECU and wiring ( I took it out of the car and misplaced it ).

If anybody has one please let me know what you would like for it.

This project is for the long cold winter so sometime after the holidays it will start. I'm sure I'll have more questions.

Thanks!