• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

tii rough running problem

thehackmechanic

I recently purchased a 1972 2002tii that has been driven very little the past 15 years. When I bought it, the car had recently gotten new plugs, plug wires, points and condenser, but that's about all, and it ran very badly, soundling like it's running on one or two cylinders. In fact at one point, while it was warming up, I pretty much caught it in the act -- pulling off three of the plug wires made no difference at all to the incredibly slow, rough idle, but pulling off the wire to cylinder #3 killed it entirely. Letting it idle more, it smoothed out, and repeating the test showed that I now had #2 and #3. Note that I verified that I had spark at all four cylinders.

I went back to basics, adjusted the warm-up regulator and the valves, verified that the regulator is working and extends upward (it is and it does), timed it at 8 degrees btdc at idle, and synchronized the pump with the throttle body, and there's very little change. It still idles very badly, but the yank the plug wires off test is not repeatable -- it seems like all four cylinders are firing. The car drives ok but not great -- no obvious surges or stumbles, just a loss of power.

I've verified that the fuel pump is working fine -- 30psi at the cold start valve, 60psi at the inlet banjo, and outputting the right amount of fuel in 15 seconds.

I stress that this car has been driven very little, so a gummed up pump or injectors are quite possible. Opinions on where to go from here?

--Rob

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

try - visit :

ignition timing 25 degrees at 2,500 rpm

with the "BALL" mark on the flywheel - rear inspection hole

fresh tank of gasoline

compression test readings ???

getting full throttle opening at the motor

w/gas pedal pressed to the carpet?

punky injectors - 'pissing' streams instead of atomized spray patterns ?

run a bottle of TECHRON with NEW gas for 200 mile highway

trip and report back

change the oil & filter AGAIN before the 200 mile road test.

Please - 20W/50 or 15W/50 oil of your choice

the inside of the injection pump maybe 'stuck' from years of nasty oil

as you suspect

Kugelfischercoldstart3overview.jpg

TECHRON may help crusty injectors and dripping pump check valves

Kugelfischercoldstart2.jpg

and you seem to have a good understanding of how the 'system' operates

Kugelfischercoldstart1.jpg

you may have all the basics correct at this point -

and all that remains is for someone to drive this car DAILY,

Many Oil Changes, Lot's of TECHRON with every fill-up.

Change the trans, diff, top up the steering, and flush the brake/clutch

fluids, change the coolent during this therapy session.

2002tiiinjectionpartspart2.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

My red '73 Tii also ran like junk when I first bought it during warm-up occasionally. It had been neglected. It would start, run, but have no power and pop and snap. After a few minutes of puttering along something would loosen and ZIIIIINNNNNG! The car came alive! It felt like what CD says, something crusty would start moving properly. I always thought it was a valve (thats what it felt like!).

This happened periodically for about a month. I drove the car hard during that time and the problem went away. During that time I of course changed all standard tune-up items, etc. I agree with CD, if all else checks out, daily Italian tune-up with techron may be the answer.

My 2 cents,

-Jason

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!

You said that the car had spark and new plugs recently, but did you examine the plugs? I had similar symptoms from putting a plug in without the washer and it piston touched the the plug and closed the gap. Probably not the problem in your case, but just one possibility.

Jared

www.DrivingWhileAwesome.com

'72 tii

'00 Tacoma PreRunner

Hello Rob,

Glad you're trying the basics on the tii. Does your car still have the plastic runners? If so, they may be leaking just enough to cause issues.

I agree with the other posters. I've recommended cleaning the small parts in an ultrasonic cleaner recently.

post-8235-13667598197313_thumb.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"