• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering Wheel Restoration

Denmilne

Hello all -

Looking for a recommendation for someone who can restore my steering wheel back to "show quality"...a shop in So Cal quoted $350 which seemed high but maybe that's the going rate.

Any help would be very appreciated.

Better yet - If anyone has an original wheel for a 72tii please let me know.

Thanks,

Denmilne

72tii - in progress

but they were out of my price range and turn around time was a bit too long.

Paul Huber gave me a Euro Bus wheel for my touring and it needed a bit of care. I sent it to American Stitches

http://www.american-stitches.com/

for refurbishment. They did a nice job on the cover. They painted the spokes a bit too shiny for my taste but it looks good. I did find out the original cover on the bus wheel will not come off. It is vulcanized on there or something like that. So, I had AS just cover over it. It still looks about the same size.

I had Royal Silver, talk to Mac, in Norfolk re-chrome the three pieces of chrome. The center cap, I just cleaned that up.

Royal Silver

3300 Chesapeake Blvd

Norfolk, VA 23513

(757) 855-6004

Royal Silver is one of the oldest chrome companies in the US. I found out that chrome was introduced to the automotive industry in the 20s but not widely used until the 50s. I think that was the time frame. Up until then, bumpers and other parts were just plated in the copper and nickel. The nickel would tarnish, that is why those older folks here, had to polish the bumpers on our Pops' and older brothers' cars. The chrome was added to the nickel to eliminate the tarnishing. Mac also told me to clean new chrome pieces with window cleaner, nothing else.

Hope this helps.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

Have restored show quaility "bus" wheel $250 plus shipping (Your hubcover trim piece required) I'll post pix later this week. May be able to source BMW "sport" wheel (tii original style) with fresh leather, price? Thank you

RK in OC

ex- 67 1600ti/Aplina

http://rogerspeed.tripod.com/bmw_1600tialpina/

83 A/R Spider Veloce

"I come from a broken home, I should know, I broke it" Bazooka Joe

but they were out of my price range and turn around time was a bit too long.

Paul Huber gave me a Euro Bus wheel for my touring and it needed a bit of care. I sent it to American Stitches

http://www.american-stitches.com/

for refurbishment. They did a nice job on the cover. They painted the spokes a bit too shiny for my taste but it looks good. I did find out the original cover on the bus wheel will not come off. It is vulcanized on there or something like that. So, I had AS just cover over it. It still looks about the same size.

I had Royal Silver, talk to Mac, in Norfolk re-chrome the three pieces of chrome. The center cap, I just cleaned that up.

Royal Silver

3300 Chesapeake Blvd

Norfolk, VA 23513

(757) 855-6004

Royal Silver is one of the oldest chrome companies in the US. I found out that chrome was introduced to the automotive industry in the 20s but not widely used until the 50s. I think that was the time frame. Up until then, bumpers and other parts were just plated in the copper and nickel. The nickel would tarnish, that is why those older folks here, had to polish the bumpers on our Pops' and older brothers' cars. The chrome was added to the nickel to eliminate the tarnishing. Mac also told me to clean new chrome pieces with window cleaner, nothing else.

Hope this helps.

Good to know about American Stitches. You are right on the money about Royal Silver. I have been using them for over 20 yrs. and they are replating the Euro Bumpers on my 75 over the Winter.

More former BMW's than it is possible to list.

Here are some photos of the wheel, difficult to capture in pictures, alot of reflection, had the wheel redone after removing the horn buttons, did them myself, the set screws in back are stainless steel, somewhere I have a new horn contact, availble from BMW for under $10, I'm socal, prefer p/u

post-1480-13667597734382_thumb.jpg

post-1480-13667597739019_thumb.jpg

post-1480-13667597744304_thumb.jpg

RK in OC

ex- 67 1600ti/Aplina

83 A/R Spider Veloce

My brother has better eyes than I do -

He just asked me if the wheel is the same diameter as a stock wheel from a '72 and if uses the same hub...

The horn in the picture is trimmed differently than the one in my car currently.

Love the way it looks but want to make sure it is correct for a '72.

Thanks.

72tii - in progress

I'm changing e-mail, sold my shoe business, yeah! please use: sawmillrun@aol.com

I'll update my profile soon.

I will measure the size for you, this will directly fit and use your center pad, the photo in the background is an early style center hub that has horn function as part of the center as well as the spokes, my wheel, like your current wheel, has horn function in the spokes but not the center pad

RK in OC

ex- 67 1600ti/Aplina

83 A/R Spider Veloce