• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So whats the going rate for a tranny swap?

So it looks like I might be in the market for a 4-speed or 5-speed swap in the near future. I was wondering if you guys could point me in the right direction as for was how much I could expect to pay for labor? Ive gotten a few quotes which have led me to delay the project a little longer.

If anyone in the central PA or surrounding area knows of anyone or is looking for this sort of project let me know, I certainly wouldnt mind helping out a fellow FAQer. Feel free to respond with your email and I can contact you personally about price quotes. Thanks guys

On an otherwise clean car.... baring any unforeseen issues like having rusted/broken bolts while removing the downpipe AND w/o changing any other parts like guibo, clutch, shift linkage parts I can see a shop charging minimum of 3 hours and up to 4.5. To exchange a 4 speed trans. Not including the cost of fresh gear oil, or the cost of the replacement transmission.

A five speed conversion is another can of worms... Depending on how the mounts are done with any particular kit or if I am doing it the factory way; I charge 8 to 12 hours and I've seen as much as 14 hours charged. Remember that would not include the labor for replacing the clutch master cylinder, or clutch assembly, surfacing the flywheel, replacing the rear crank seal, of which I wholly recommend if they are unknown quantities. Or the cost of shortening the shift linkage myself... However I do prefer to measure each car for it's particular driveshaft length and that means the car will sit uncompleted until the driveshaft is shortened.

To bad I'm on the other coast or I'd offer to do the work at either of the shops I work at. (See links below)

HTH

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

Tom, I'm confused about the different cost. On the first quote for a 4 speed you don't bother about rear main seal or the clutch surface conditions so why care on the 5 speed. Then on the 5 speed, you'll need 10 more hours to weld or bolt little tranny mount brakets on. All the other parts are just bolt on if the owner buys the kit from AArdvark or 2002Haus. Just giving you shite!!!!

Norm

Is there a Junior College with an auto shop course near by? They will usually do stuff like that for a minimal charge. Or better yet take the course and do it your damm self :) I used to take cars to the J.C. for stuff I would prefer not to do, clutches etc. Always had good results..

MJ

75 2002

76 2002

71 F250 camper special

Pictured is a quote I received in July for changing out a 5 spd for another 5 spd, and some associated parts. Texas rates! As noted, I was supplying the exch 5 spd box.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Guest Anonymous
Pictured is a quote I received in July for changing out a 5 spd for another 5 spd, and some associated parts. Texas rates! As noted, I was supplying the exch 5 spd box.

Bert's quote seemed fair - assuming he does not encounter the unforeseen parts unavailability or the parts (driveshaft) not fitting or the need to re-pull the trans when you discover the layshaft is worn or the 2nd syncro feels non existent. I wonder why he did not include a new pilot bearing/s while he is in there.

But going from a 4-speed to a 5-speed adds more issues for the unwary because of rigging the trans support, cutting/adapting the shifter assembly, adapting the driveshaft, and adapting the newer slave cylinder. And - even if you are just transplanting a 4-speed for another 4-speed, what about the clutch? Unless the mechanic is family - installing new (known and warrantable) is the only protection he has when that used throwout bearing or slightly warped pressure plate gives up the ghost after the trans swap. Last time I checked, these parts were not getting any cheaper.