• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

correct driver's side mat configuration?

BillWilliams

Can anyone tell me how the vinyl pieces sewn to the carpet are supposed to look on a 1972?

I think there is a heal pad but I am not sure if there is supposed to be a triangular piece around the pedals or if the pedal slits should be sewn vinyl "assholes" as the carpet guys call them.

I found a good picture on Dirk's site to go by, not sure if that is period correct or the way the new carpets are being put together.

Thanks!

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

both the 69 and the 73, and they're identical, so your 72 should be the same.

There's a ribbed vinyl heel pad that extends nearly the width of the driver's floor carpet--it's a half inch or so shorter than the carpet is wide--I can measure exactly for you if you wish, just lemme know.

Up on the tunnel housing carpet piece there's an irregular triangular piece of upholstery type dark grey vinyl (different material from the heel pad) that's sewn over the carpet. This is to prevent the right side of your shoe from wearing the carpet when you have your foot on the accelerator.

Finally, the openings around the pedal shaft cutouts have no finishing trim--they appear to have been heat sealed--the appearance is having transparent hot glue squirted around the cutout, the clamped with a big pair of visegrips to mash the pile down and prevent unraveling.

Hope that helps. If you need pix, drop me an e-mail and I'll see what I can do. As a photographer, I'm a pretty good '02 wrench...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Mike, my original early '71 (mfg. 11/30/70) has no vinyl pad on the tunnel piece (by the accelerator pedal), as nbcbird also reports, but is otherwise as you describe. There clearly were at least some '71s manufactured without it before it was added back. FWIW, my carpet isn't too worn on the tunnel after 140k miles without that piece.

-Dave

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport
'10 Honda Odyssey Family & Stuff Hauler

Bill,

Just like on my 72 tii.Grey ribbed vinyl section in front of the pedals.If you like,I can run it buy tis week if you want to see,measure etc. for your car.Just give a ring.............

Jonathan

1973 Malaga "ti"2.3 stroker,dual 45s,lots of Alpina content13x6 Superlites bilsteins,Petri Sport ,GTS Seats,Coco Mats,Old Man Style "Patina"....but the old Emily is Fast.

2010 GTI 200 H.P.,dsg ,18"wheels etc.modern daily driver.

Bill,

I'll get some today or call and you can get pix of what exactly you like.

jonathan

1973 Malaga "ti"2.3 stroker,dual 45s,lots of Alpina content13x6 Superlites bilsteins,Petri Sport ,GTS Seats,Coco Mats,Old Man Style "Patina"....but the old Emily is Fast.

2010 GTI 200 H.P.,dsg ,18"wheels etc.modern daily driver.