• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LSD flange questions

Jared

I have a question about the output flanges that bolt to the CV joints. The LSD I got didn't have them, so i was going try to find some off a 320i at the local pick and pull. How do they pop off the side off the diff? Is it just a clip? What tools will I need to bring?

I also got CV joints from a 79 320i that I was going to put on the 02 axles. So basically I just need spacers after I get the side flanges, right?

(I've read the LSD searches, but just want to double check on what mates up together.)

Thanks in advance

Jared

www.DrivingWhileAwesome.com

'72 tii

'00 Tacoma PreRunner

Ireland has an article about the various diffs in their tech section, here:

http://www.iemotorsport.com/documents/bmw-2002-differentials.pdf

With the mixing and matching you're doing, be sure to double-check your CV hardware at both sides (remember, your 02's stub axles (at the wheels) will have holes for the 8mm bolts, not for the larger bolts used on the later E21 CVs).

FYI, I'll be putting a 3.90 LSD with drilled flanges, spacers and bolts on the FAQ or eBay in the next day or two (like the complete set-up Aardvarc sold on ebay recently) - taking photos in the morning.

I agree with the above. I just finished this mod...so here's what I discovered. The flanges just pull out/push in....that's why the spacer is so important. I took my old half-shaft, changed to a 320i CV for the inner (10mm bolt holes), left the 2002 CV on the outer (8mm bolt holes to mate up with stub axle) and added spacers from Ireland. Oh yeah, it seems obvious now, but you need the longer 10mm bolts for the inner CV to flange so you can reach through the spacer. I also took the time to change out all the gaskets and seals in the old diff to save future oil issues. Here's a pic

post-9412-13667595733005_thumb.jpg

'74 2002

Ambulatory on 2/4/9!!!

Now the hard shit begins

but 'pull' out is relative-

I often have to get behind the flange with a screwdriver,

then hit the handle pretty hard to dislodge them.

It takes a jolt.

And reinstallation can be difficult with the diff in the car-

the snap ring likes to drop out of center and block things up.

hth,

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

• 3 weeks later...