• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Double or Bubble flaring our stainless lines

instructorbill

I know, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that our cars have bubble flares, that's not the question.

I need to make custom length lines that tie into stock lines and I'd also like to re-flare a line or two on the car as well. I know that lines can be bought from NAPA stores and other import houses, that won't help me in all of situations I'm currently dealing with.

Are there either double or bubble flare tools that anybody can recommend using on our stock lines. I've already bought the deluxe double SAE kit that NAPA sells, and it seems to be fairly nice, but I'm not sure it'll do the trick on the stainless lines. I've used cheap ones before on soft lines and was not impressed, I scrapped the idea all together.

Should I be concerned about the hardness of the lines, or does anybody know better.

Thanks in advance

Make it different... or just do it differently

Bill in Petaluma, CA

1969 1600 supercharged m20 in progress

1970 2002 RIP -- crashed then quartered

1971 2002 M20/02 RIP -- nothing but pieces now

1972 2002 gone, but not missed POS

If I were to get an end all flare tool set I'd get this Snap-On kit TF700.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?item_ID=69952&group_ID=18146

If you get it Sean & will undoubtedly be borrowing it. :)

My Snap-On set #TFM428 looks very much like this OTC one that the Sears catalog carries. OTC #6504

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00971267000P?vName=Tools&cName=MechanicsTools&sName=Automotive%20Specialty%20Tools&psid=FROOGLE01&sid=IDx20070921x00003a

I have to make for sure that the tube is very tight in the holder otherwise it will slip. And I have about 2mm of tube sticking out above the holder to get a good looking flare. Once in a while as the flare is being made it will slide off to one side, just make sure it it all centered when you start the flare and all should be good. Sean has lots of experience with this too and his flare tool is similar to mine.

HTH

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

Guest Anonymous

there is annealed stainless that is supposed to be flairable. The snap-on tool above is available much cheaper. Search for a mastercool hydraulic flaring tool. they are coming out with an 37 degree AN adapter sometime soon too.

I have a couple of flaring tools-

a newer, cheaper one, and

an older Mac that does ok (not great) on regular steel.

What's always happened to me is that I've never even gotten the

tubing to start flaring- it deforms just a little, then 'snap'.

I tried annealing it, I even tried to do it hot- then it collapsed!

I gave up and brazed an end onto the one piece I had to use,

and never used any more.

I didn't know about the 'soft' stainless...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Here is some great info on brake lines and flares. Pictures always help me..... This is a preview of a book so look for pages 85-92 for flare information.

http://books.google.com/books?id=5rW-ppyB_ugC&pg=PA90&lpg=PA90&dq=iso+flare&source=web&ots=fbmveesHtl&sig=zw2rwjaIJX01GfUiYj9aI_o6na8&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=6&ct=result#PPA91,M1

"Common sense isn't common"