• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Windshield: Is PPG glass any good?

ClayW

Got a new windshield recently. Safelite did the replacement through my insurance company. I was under the impression that Safelite produced their own glass, but they installed a PPG windshield. Does anyone know anything about PPG's quality? Vs. BMW?

z160899815.jpg

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

Clay, I am not the greatest authority, but in 2003, I had my windshield replaced along with a new rubber seal. It has been very satisfactory for me. The glass place ordered it, assuming that the orig. windshield would break during the replacement of the seal, but it did not break. I forgot to ask what they did with my orig. windshield glass.

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

i have a factory brand new sigla in my M2 and in the first few hundred miles i took a very light hit with what id call a pebble and it chipped my new windshield which started to spider after a day of ripping it thru corners. i eased it home and called the sweatiest dude ive ever seen to come out and fill the crack. (not mine, my windshields) its been fine but i thought it sucked a tiny pebble would crack it.

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

PPG is supposed to be one of the more reputable Auto Glass companies - they have a very large OEM business.

The company I work for uses PPG powder coats and our PPG sales reps once told us that PPG actually stands Pittsburgh Plate Glass

HTH

Andy W.

'72 Tii & '74 Tii

'88 M3 & '91 318is

FWIW I live on the border with Mexico and the last windshield I had installed about 6-7 yrs. ago is Pilkington, which I think is mfg'd. in Mexico. It's withstood many small flying rocks without marking and the two small ones that did leave a scar were fixed free by State Farm using the epoxy process and are so invisible that I would not even be able to find them today.

Bob Napier