• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hi,

first sorry for my english, I will explain best than I can.

I have two questions of my tii's idle:

When the engine is not at its optimus temperature and the warm-up transmiter is working the rpm are at 1500 at idle. Are these rpm ok when engine is cold? I think it's too much.

Then when the engine is with correct temperature the idle is at 1000 rpm, I think that this is OK. But the idle goes up and down (700-1000rpm) constant. Other tii of a friend of mine has the same (up&down idle) problem.

What do you think about these?

Thank's in advance.

Alex.

BMW 2002tii -colorado- 1.972

Alpina rally replica

First download the tuning guide from

http://www.thetiiregister.com/phpmyfaq/index.php?

sid=559344〈=en&action=artikel&cat=220444&id=14&artlang=en

It sounds like your mixture is off, either due to adjustment or loose/sloppy linkages. Make sure all the linkage is in perfect shape before you try to adjust anything.

-Justin
--
'76 02 (USA), '05 Toyota Alphard (Tokyo) - http://www.bmw2002.net

I have the tunning BMW Service Training for tii Kugel pump, and I have all the settings as the book says. This was my first step.

More ideas?

Do you think that idle at 1500rpm with cold engine is OK?

Thank's!

Alex.

BMW 2002tii -colorado- 1.972

Alpina rally replica

Cold idle should be more around 1,100 - 1,200. Warm idle on a stock motor = 900 rpms

Your "hunting" idle can be caused by several problems. I find them most due to a lean running motor. That could cause your high idle at cold too.

You can richen up with the timing, if it is not set correctly or with the little screw inside the tuna can or the linkage settings on the vertical intermediate shaft, the one that is connected with the two 10mm bolts.

The intermediate shaft connection is the "rough-in setting" for the mixture, the small screw inside the tuna can is the "fine-tuning" of mixture, at idle only. Once you come off idle, all of this stuff is out of the picture.

Make sure your timing is set with the idle fast enough to take any "before full advance" out of the test. 2,400rpm or 2,700rpm are the rpms to set a tii's timing - I think, working from a much failing memory.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

Check for vacuum leaks:

Make-up air hose from bottom of KF pump to bottom of plenum just behind the throttle body.

Valve cover gasket.

Vent line from valve cover outlet to tii air cleaner along with the small hose to the side of the throttle body.

If equipped, check the vacuum advance hose to the distributor.

If it's still there, check the vacuum hose to the valve located on the top of the tii air cleaner.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

I have the same problem with my tii...

I noticed that there are fumes/smoke coming from the engine when it's hot soo I think it's the valve cover gasket. I already opened it cleaned the surface of the cover and cylinder head and then reinstalled but that didn't help. Should I get a new gasket from BMW or use gasket from a tube?

Thanks,

Maikel

1973 2002tii with original 5 speed CR

1975 1602 project car

I like this one.

galicianjob078copy1va7.jpg

I remember you discussing that helicopter battery, too.

Cheers,

Ray

Hi,

thank's to all for your replys.

I will verify all parts you advice me.

More photos of my tii, a phorum with 3 pages. I hope you will like it.

http://www.mangallo.org/foro/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=664&start=0

Best regards,

Alex.

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.