• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cut strut or spring

O2guy

My '73 2002 purchase last week came lowered and wanting a 100% stock '02, I want it a bit higher. I was told the struts were cut. Not thinking that was possible, how do I tell if it was the springs or struts that were cut? Struts are easy to do, but how about spring replacement? Are they readly available?

As always...many thanks

Jim

Jim

'73 Malaga #2590259 - almost done!

Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

lowered car and swap suspension components.

If your front end could use rebuilding, a second option might be to pick up a pair of stock struts and springs from someone who's parting a car out, refurb the struts with new inserts, etc, then install the struts with new lower control arms, ball joints and steering linkage.....

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold
'82 E21 (daily driver), '82 633CSi (wife's driver) - both sold
66 Chevy Nova wagon (yard & parts hauler)

Many people get the struts shortened so they ca use lower (or cut) springs. The reason for this is so there is still some wheel travel.

You can tell that the strut has been shortened by looking for a weld mark about half way up. The people that do this are usually good at it and the weld might be hard to see if there is a lot of dirt and road grime on them.

It was sorta fashionable to cut the stock springs back in the day to get a lower ride height. Many people swear by and others swear at this mod. My car used to have cut stock springs and Billy HD's and I liked it very much. However I might not have known what I was missing with other springs such as IE stage 1's. Cut stock springs will be missing the tighter coil on one end.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

shorter than the stock springs on 73-76 cars. This due to Federal bumper height requirements that kicked in for the '73 model year.

I confirmed this when I had my '69's front suspension apart; I set the stock original '69 spring alongside the stock '73 spring I had removed last year. Sure enough, there was about an inch difference in the two.

If you find that you have shortened springs, I have a set from a '74 that I'd be glad to swap with you. These springs have been sitting on my shelf for 10-15 years; I was originally gonna cut 'em but decided to get H&R springs instead.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Hi---If you want stock 02 struts with clean spindles--stock springs --straight control arms---tons of 02 parts but in Canada (west coast) If you can't find things locally i'm sure we can work out a reasonable deal. Just email scoyote@shaw.ca