• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

After seeing a couple of turbo e21's at Bimmerfest, I got to thinking about turbocharging my own car. After some research, it seems that the e30 318i (m10) takes turbo very well. There have been a couple of writeups that describe the turbo conversion in the e30. These writeups describe simply using a thicker head gasket for lower compression and some simple FI mods such as larger injectors and modified air meter. Has anyone had any experience turbocharging the 318i engine? Would the L-Jetronic have me pulling my hair out with frustration? I can't predict any conflicts installing that engine in my deuce. I would not expect to put down more than about 180-190hp with boost of 10-12psi. Perhaps it would be more beneficial to use my existing 2.0L m10 because of its larger displacement and lower compression? The only problem with that is it would probably need a rebuild before turbo as it is 35 years old. For this reason, I think it would be cheaper to use the 318i engine and modify that.

TIA,

Cody

PS here is one good writeup

http://home.mchsi.com/~jroal/cars/bmw.htm

-Cody

'73 Deuce, the "Snailmobile"

E30tech dot com is THE place to go fro turbo information. They have hundreds of pages full of threads dedicated to nothing but turbo'ing.

I am in the process of turboing my M10. Tomorrow I should be getting the rest of my head rebuild parts.

Im not doing it the easy way though, Im actually building my motor from top to bottom using forged flat top pistons with about 8.5-1 ratio, dual springs, titanium retainers, rocker locks, new valve seals and guides, race prepped rocker arms, 292 cam, oversized intake and exhaust valves... Im looking to have about 280 to the wheels using a holset HX35 turbo.

Good Luck with you journey

75 2002 "Project Turb02"

95 Hellrot M3 *Sold

95 332is *Sold

Thank's for the reply. I'll have to check that forum. This could be a first for the '02 scene.

What could be a first for the 02 scene? A turbo 2002? There are several on this forum that have nice turbo setups. Search the archives

Again, good luck and keep us posted.

75 2002 "Project Turb02"

95 Hellrot M3 *Sold

95 332is *Sold

Thank's for the reply. I'll have to check that forum. This could be a first for the '02 scene.

What could be a first for the 02 scene? A turbo 2002? There are several on this forum that have nice turbo setups. Search the archives

Again, good luck and keep us posted.

I was talking specifically about a turbo 318i engine (retaining L-jet) swap in a 2002. I'm familiar with the '02 turbo.

-Cody

If i were you, id use the 2L. Set it up on Megasquirt, then turbo it. You should be alright running low boost. Once the motor pops, build it up again as a turbo motor. I like the route 'Pinepig' went with his. Look through his project blog for ideas.

Cheers,

Tom

6780296635_13fa58faa3_b.jpg

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky

its the same base engine after all, less displacement, thats it.

the only reason i see to stick with the 1.8 is to make a high rev version, the difference is marginal imho. And keeping the CIS or Ljet is not very serious, when you have all those other options that are better imho.

btw i did my turbo 02 8 years ago.

post-119-13667589853042_thumb.jpg

post-119-13667589854668_thumb.jpg

2006 530xi, 1974 2002 Automatic summer DD
1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp
1986 yota pick-up, 2006 Smart FT diesel

If i were you, id use the 2L. Set it up on Megasquirt, then turbo it. You should be alright running low boost. Once the motor pops, build it up again as a turbo motor. I like the route 'Pinepig' went with his. Look through his project blog for ideas.

Cheers,

Tom

And the stock block ( with an MLS headgasket ) is still running just fine at 20psi. :-)

Charlie Mac in Sacramento.

My Blog

I'm an كافر

Thing about the 318, it's got fewer counterweights on its stubby little crank.

And them pistons, they gots wrist pins waaaay down on the flanks.

Yes, the head shape might be good for a turbo, but I'd build me a

2l block if'n I was going to use that head.

Just stouter stuff.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Thanks everybody for the help so far.

I know MS would be great, but this is a discount build. Plus if I am able to get it running on L-Jet, there is always the possibility to upgrade later on. The idea of using the 1.8 head on the 2.0 block is a good one. I already have an e12 head though. Is that what's on the 318? Regardless, a bottom end refresh would still be necessary if I were to run the 2.0 block.

Pinepig, are you running MSI or II? I know MSI can be had for cheap.

-Cody

Thanks everybody for the help so far.

I know MS would be great, but this is a discount build. Plus if I am able to get it running on L-Jet, there is always the possibility to upgrade later on. The idea of using the 1.8 head on the 2.0 block is a good one. I already have an e12 head though. Is that what's on the 318? Regardless, a bottom end refresh would still be necessary if I were to run the 2.0 block.

Pinepig, are you running MSI or II? I know MSI can be had for cheap.

MS1 the spark version MSnS-extra, Stay away from the L-jet and just use MS instead, the L-jet will be frustrating as hell, never run correctly under boost ( without a FMU or RR FPR and a chip, and for the price of a good one you could have paid for a MS ecu ) and possibly cost you a motor.

I totally understand the budget thing, but there is a minimum for a properly running setup and I'm about as low tech as you can go and expect it to run AND last. For the MS ecu, wire, sensors, and any other fuel injection stuff, it could be done for about 700$ if you spend some time at a junk yard and some scrounging. I'd highly recomend you install fuel injection ( MS ) on the car first and learn how to use it before you turbo it.

If you want any more info I'd be happy to help you out but it will be a couple of weeks, I'll be heading to Roatan to blow air bubbles and look at pretty fish in about 5 hours or so.

Charlie Mac in Sacramento.

My Blog

I'm an كافر

I agree with everything you said after looking in to MS-I for a long while. It would probably be the best idea to do what you said and get the 2.0L running N/A on MS-1 with the ignition extra, then acrue and install the turbo parts. I already have the 318i intake anyway. I'll have to refresh the engine first.

By the way Charlie, I was the only other '02 at the Treasure Island Euro Sunday meet a few months ago when we parked next to eachother. Didn't know if you remembered me or not...

-Cody