• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Five Speed and it's Exhaust

ClayW

I'm going to stock exhaust from the rusty, cheap-o, everything-welded-together setup on my `76.

Question #1: With a 5 speed in place, I can still attach the 4 speed's exhaust hanger. Will mounting it screw anything up with how it holds the resonator? It only mounts it a few inches aft from where it was, so I think there's enough adjustment room.....just want to be sure.

Question #2: Where can I get new rubber bushing assemblies? Does anyone here have them?

30.jpg

Thanks in advance!

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

There's a 10mm bolt that runs through it with some washers, right? And I just need two of them total, right?

Thanks!

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

You need 4 of the newer updated ones like that. Yes two bolts and nuts + 2 thick fender washers + 2 wave lock washers or use nyloc nuts.

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

The old ones are a "grommet" style whereas the new ones are two halves. You'll see when you get them.

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

It's been discussed at length (use the search button). Basically, a resonator is a kind of free-flowing muffler that tunes the exhaust sound as it runs down long, straight pipes. It's not necessary, but your exhaust note will change if you replace it with just a straight pipe....and not necessarily for the better.

I'ts something of a subjective thing. If you don't have the $$ to replace a rusted out resonator, one could understand just having a straight pipe installed. Some people claim to not hear the difference at all. Others would note that even the higher end stuff, like Ireland Engineering's full stainless setup, have sound-tuning resonators in the stock location.

Overall, it's up to you. If you're short on cash, no one will fault you for going with a straight pipe, or even a small, flat muffler (even a "`glasspack"). It's all up to you and how particular you are with the exhaust sound.

ClayW

Sounds great without the resonator. I compared having the stock resonator with an Ansa sport muffler then installing a straight pipe to the same muffler. I did a header at the same time but the sound is not much louder until the revs get up past the 3000 range. It sounds deeper as well.

-Cody

'73 Deuce, the "Snailmobile"