• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

help me me out Lee

us4736

i can't get my brakes to lock up ,front or rear .i have a tilton pedal setup with two M/C both 7/8" willwood calipers on the rear and BMW calipers on the front .the car stops but i can't get the wheel to lock up .their is no air in the system i bled them several times with a presure bleeder .the pedal is firm and hard .i have all SS lines .any ideas ??? have to go to the outlaws for easter dinner i'll be back

post-1291-13667588271358_thumb.jpg

REMEMBER SOME PEOPLE ARE ALIVE SIMPLY BECAUSE IT IS ILLEGAL TO SHOOT THEM

Lee's at dinner,

....you need many more miles to work the pad lining, and

rotors to 'mate' and bedding process to give better grip.

One trip around the block doesn't cut it.

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

What's the pedal ratio?

I found that I needed a 6:1 ratio with a 7/8" front and 5er calipers

on tii struts. And it takes a MANLY shove to get things locked up-

no 'I just use my big toe' braking for me any more.

But the modulation is sooooo much better...

Also, what pads? Temperature makes a real difference on race

pads- I have to preheat HT10's for the entire recon lap

or I have nothing when I try to stand on it...

usually going 3 or 4 wide into someplace where you DO want brakes...

If you're using standard 2002 calipers, I fear that 7/8" is too big for your master.

If I did it again, I'd size down to 3/4"...

Your pedal should be solid as a rock, btw...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

the pedal is hard as a rock and i am using my whole foot on it the car does stop but i think c.d may be right and i have to get the pads set a little more . the pads are just stock pads

REMEMBER SOME PEOPLE ARE ALIVE SIMPLY BECAUSE IT IS ILLEGAL TO SHOOT THEM

I am going through the same thing now. I have massive brakes and no booster and at first there was literally nothing slowing me down. It takes a while to get the pads to seat. Give the brakes a chance to break in and then decide if your MC's are too large. Good luck...great looking car you have there.

Guest Anonymous

I agree with the reply that referred to the size of the piston bores. 7/8 is quite large for a five series caliper. I would call the engineering department at Tilton and ask for help with sizing the appropriate master cylinders. The two bores can be different depending on the size of the calipers and other factors like car weight, tire size and rotor size. There is a formula that the engineers use and I'm sure they will help you choose the right set-up. I called them and I had to do a little research before I got the right answer on my next call.

Regards,

RW