• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grill Slats Timeline, what slats on what years.

tsho

Searched the archives, looking for a timeline around the front grill slats?

At what years did what happen on the front grill? I.e. 1600's had all chrome, 71 and 72 had X # black and X # chrome, etc?

Also, any pics of different configurations from stock? My two grill sides are mismatched, and I need to decide what direction to head...

72/3 Colorado (should be Inka) 2002.

Nor Cal

All 1600s had silver grilles, side and center

Early 2002s--at least thru the end of '69 production and probably some of the 70s had side grilles with the slats painted black. Center grilles had black anodized slats.

From that point on, all remaining roundies had black anodized appliques glued over the silver slats on the side grilles.

Sometime in mid-1972, the factory changed the side grilles slightly, altering the depth of the headlight surround about an inch. That's why these cars seem to have the headlights flush with the grille edge, while earlier cars seem to have 'em sunken below the grille. You can tell the difference by looking at the grille's headlight surround at the six o'clock position--the flat spot is about an inch deep on the shallow grilles, and twice that on the earlier grilles. Also the shallow grilles have symmetrical headllight beam retainers, while those used on the deep grilles are asymmetrical.

Your 73 should have shallow grilles with glued on appliques.

Hope that helps

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Nicely written! Should be very searchable for future inquiries.

Just to clarify, stock config. on my 72 would be ALL black side grilles, none of them chrome?

Funny, I've had three roundies, all missing some black grill covers, thought some chrome was stock!

Thanks again,

Tom

all black slats on the side grilles. I think the earlier cars with the painted slats had a couple left chrome on each side, but again, I don't have my '69 to look at either...

Someone on the board will know...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Nice car love the wheels can I ask what size and brand tires and how much you lowered your ride.

Thanks,

Julio

'69 2002 (M2 for 2012) daily driver

'71 911 T (2.4s) powered Weekend joyride

'67 VW Crew Cab Turbo truck parts hauler

--------------------------------------------------

www.eurovintageparts.com

Nice car love the wheels can I ask what size and brand tires and how much you lowered your ride.

Thanks,

Julio

Thanks..

I have tii struts with Bilstein HD inserts HR Springs in front with fixed camber plates.

The Rear HR springs with Bilstein HD shocks with 3 dot rubbers.

Stock 13" tii wheels and 195/60/13 sumitomo's

1973 Verona 2002

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks I'm going that route for tires. Your car's stance is the best Ive seen.

Jb

'69 2002 (M2 for 2012) daily driver

'71 911 T (2.4s) powered Weekend joyride

'67 VW Crew Cab Turbo truck parts hauler

--------------------------------------------------

www.eurovintageparts.com