• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where'd you buy your mig welder?

gwb72tii

looks like I'm going to break down and finally get one. i need about $300 worth of welding done, so why not buy one instead.

narrowed the choice down to a 125v, 130-140amp welder, new or used, lincoln, miller or hobart.

i've been watching craigslist, ebay etc and used ones in reasonable condition seem to cost almost as much as a new one.

so, those that got 'em, where'd you shop?

72 2002tii

1988 535is  “Maeve”

home depot sells lincolns. i've put mine through the ringer and it's working great. i got the weldpak 3200 and an autodarkening helmet. plus home depot often has no interest for 6-12 months on larger purchases using their credit card...and don't forget to find a coupon!

'74 turkis 2002ti(-i)

keep looking.......I found all 3 of my Millers on craigslist.

they were all good deals.....

Craigslist is where I found a decent deal on a Snap-On 240v MIG ready to go w/ cart, gas, wire, etc. But if you don't know much about welders to begin with, your risk is higher buying used. (that didn't stop me though!)

67 Caribe 1600

76 Ceylon 2002

miller/hobart handler 135 can handle most everything we do for body work, patching, etc.

I bought all my welders through cyberweld.com. Free shipping, great service, and awsome prices.

feel free to email if you have any questions

Aashish

1969 BMW 2002--I gotta finish this damn thing

1987 BMW 325is--S52 Monster

1975 Innocenti Mini 1001-- the most cost dense car ever!

1995 318ti

2004 BMW 330i ZHP

2004 Toyota Tacoma (gotta have something reliable!)--can't live without

I bought my Miller 210 from a local supplier. They matched an internet price, and the relationship with them has provided so much information that it was worth any difference in price.

Ian

'76 M2

'05 Miller mm210

'07 Henrob oxyy-acetylene

Ian
'76 M2

'02 325iT

I also bought a new Lincoln 135 SP from a local supplier. They had a sale price that was as good as I could find on the internet.

When I tried it, the gun trigger was intermittent. Took it back and they gave me another no problems. They can also answer technical problems you have as well.

BMWCCA #2762
72 2002/71 2002ti, 67 2000CS, 2x 72 3.0CS
86 635, 2x 05 330Ci ZHP, 
'11 Corvette Grand Sport

For most of our hobbyist needs, the 110v machines are fine. I like my Miller 135. I can take it with me and work off site. That is very difficult with a 220V machine, although the 220v is more capable. If you are going to just locate it in the garage and not worry about off site work then the 210 series and up Millers are my preference. I guess I just like my machines Blue. Auto darkening helmets are a bonus and worth the money

I'm with Ian on the local purchase. Either Lincoln or Miller, find a local supplier with knowledge of the topic and buy from him, unless you are a hand and can do it yourself. There are nuclear power plants with my welds on them in your area (make you nervous?) and I still get good info and help from my local vendor. It's a value issue.

but I love the trick to test an auto darkening helmet.

Point a remote control at the lens and push any button. If the lens darkens, it works.

I use this when I watch the boys weld.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

So are the 110v machines worth it? I was looking at getting a Miller 140. I'm in an apt and Im not going to get into a house for a long time most likely. I guess I'll take the advice given here and go buy it from a local welding supply place.

Can I start out with flux wire so I dont have to get the gas canisters and all that jazz right away?

1990 325i

1976 2002

The Miller 135, and now the 140, are very nice machines. If you need portable, look at the Miller Passport (http://www.millerwelds.com/products/mig/millermatic_passport_plus/). It's not cheap, but you can do a lot of welding and keep it in your apartment when you are not using it. One pluses of buying locally is that most dealers will let you try out the various machines. The try-out is worth more than any written review, as what you like may differ from what the reviewer likes. With either of those machines you can start with flux and add gas later, although I suspect once you try it with gas you won't want to go to flux-less smoke, less spatter, and nicer welds.

Ian

Ian
'76 M2

'02 325iT

isn't the 3200 a 135amp machine?

have you tried 1/4"?

it's rated at 25-135amps. i've tried 1/4" steel with it but for that i use the flux-cored wire as it is a thicker diameter than what i have for gas-shielded. the thin wire doesn't cut it, just drips off the thicker metal. i could bump up to a thicker G-S wire and nozzle but i rarely need to weld stuff that thick AND have it be super pretty.

the only issue with the 3200 is that is only has a 4 amp setting knob, not a true dial setting, so it sometimes takes a little fiddling with my technique to either get good penetration or to keep from melting through certain gauges.

here's one for sale on CL with all the specs listed.

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/tls/543908965.html

'74 turkis 2002ti(-i)