• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

74 bumper solutions.... these ones are massive

2dingos

I finally got my 'new' 02 here from Sacremento, some of you may have seen it on ebay, and these bumpers have to go. They stick out a least a foot in the front and i guess a bit less in the back. In order to still have bumpers to keep a bit of a sleeper look, what are the options?

Does anyone have a link for euro style, low profile bumpers - or has anyone drilled the bumper shocks and pushed them in -how far in did they go?

thanks for any suggestions, i suspect i will be posting frequent questions as this project begins.....

first bimmer, 1974 2002......undergoing ground up with S14

Use the search function of the board. This and many other topics have been covered.

Typical conversation does involve some bodywork to cover up the holes. You can also drill them out to move them closer to the body as well.

Though you may want to concentrate on mechanicals of the car before dealing with its appearance.

Keep in mind that the big bumpers are useful for things like parallel parking and moving shopping carts around parking lots.

-Justin
--
'76 02 (USA), '05 Toyota Alphard (Tokyo) - http://www.bmw2002.net

I I did my math correctly, the "Federalized" 5-mph bumpers added 9.5 inches to the length of an early roundie. These battering rams are not only ugly, but heavy at the vehicles extremities, affecting handling in a bad way.

The 1973 cars with their reinforced brackets still used the graceful chrome bumpers, but were extended and strengthened to comply with government regs.

I've got a '74tii that will one day be redone with a set of earlier bumpers.

That is, unless I decide to to go for the Turbo-Look with front spoiler and "shortie" rear bumper.

Lots of info in "Search."

Delia

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

if you simply drill a hole in the shock and compress them, they will go in 2-3 inches, roughly. You can see how they snug up. If you want them tighter, it will require more serious mods.

post-3947-13667585379651_thumb.jpg

72 Agave tii

2012 Space Grey 335i

76 Sienabraun - sold  95 M3 - sold  06 M Coupe - sold

Where's Alonzo?!