• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It was a cold, grey December morning in Munich, 35 years

Mike Self

ago...when Ludwig first saw the light of day at the end of the 2002 assembly line.

Resplendent in his new Sahara paint, sunroof and caramel brown vinyl interior, riding on state-of-the-art Michelin XAS tires, he was special--tagged for a long journey--to San Francisco and ultimately to Mill Valley Imports, Mill Valley California. Little did he know he would still be loved, cherished and well taken care of three and a half decades later...

Today is Ludwig's 35th birthday. He's been giving me a great ride since 1978.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Congrats Mike & Ludwig!

I totally forgot about Hugo's 36th Birthday 2 days ago. I'm so ashamed! :-(

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

Guest Anonymous

Gee Mike, I sure wish you would belay all this talk of birthdays.

Let the battle scars speak for themselves!! (Hint: My newest ride is still older than yours!) If you keep this up, next time I see you working on your car, I may be wondering if you are using funny looking jackstands or a high tech walker?

Besides, putting cut up tennis balls on the feet of your jackstands is so 90's!

Put a cupcake on your oil filler cap! lol!

I emailed MT and found that the Orange Car's birthday was Nov. 30, 1970. The sticker on the door jamb says December--must've hurried out the door faster than expected or something. Forgot to send a card home three weeks ago...

-Dave

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport
'10 Honda Odyssey Family & Stuff Hauler

Guest Anonymous

When you gonna push him out of the nest? Tied to closely to your apron strings, what is Ludwig, a momma's car? C'mon now, the car will be just fine parked out doors for once! Afraid of a few rogue beavers?

LOL

Guest Anonymous

Mike, how do you know it was cold and gray back then? Are you sure it wasn't unseasonably warm and clear?

Since Ludwig is old enough, you should treat him to some upper cylinder lube like Marvel. Or are you one of those teetotalers who won't let Ludwig drink and drive? 'fraid he wont drive in a straight line anymore?

Hey Mike! That might be Ludwig in C.D.'s photo! Well, it "could be"! :-) You have about a 1 in 500,000 or so chance!

BTW, I've always noticed in that photo that the car in front of the 1600/2002 is "not" of the same "Class"....I wonder what it was?

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"