• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No A.M radio reception...but have F.M???

Armond

At one point in time, the antennas on '02's were only used for am reception.Find a new stereo guy or stereo.

My Alpine gets am just fine with the factory antenna.

Cris

Proud member #113

The rides!

www.cardomain.com/ride/792851

www.cardomain.com/ride/792793

I've got a brand spankin new Pioneer???

Did you install it right? Save the wire nuts for your house.

BTW, Pioneer a trail to a better head unit.

Cris

Proud member #113

The rides!

www.cardomain.com/ride/792851

www.cardomain.com/ride/792793

Stereo guy says it's the antenna. Has anyone experienced similar problems. TIA

As my unit is almost as old as the car, this may not apply to a new unit. On mine there is a wee screw behind the RH (?) knob so you can tune the unit to your aerial/antenna. Find a bad reception station and turn the scew to get best reception. Maybe the new breed of radios does it automatically?

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Do you have any AM reception, or is it completely dead? If completely dead, the AM section in your head unit may be fubar. Otherwise, your stereo guy is probably right, but to prove it you can simply stick a wire in the center of the antenna socket. Try one a couple of feet long. It doesn't matter if the wire is insulated, as long as it is not shielded (e.g., a piece of coaxial cable). You should get some AM reception on the stronger stations.

Problems with the antenna can be: poor connection between the ground plane (the car body) and the antenna; poor connection between the antenna cable and the antenna or any insertion point. Corrosion is the likely suspect for any poor connection problem.

BTW, I have tried all the major head units over the years and have concluded that Pioneer has the best FM section of any mainstream supplier. I don't know about AM... just don't listen to it.

Chris B.

'73 ex-Malaga

Do you have any AM reception, or is it completely dead? If completely dead, the AM section in your head unit may be fubar. Otherwise, your stereo guy is probably right, but to prove it you can simply stick a wire in the center of the antenna socket. Try one a couple of feet long. It doesn't matter if the wire is insulated, as long as it is not shielded (e.g., a piece of coaxial cable). You should get some AM reception on the stronger stations.

Problems with the antenna can be: poor connection between the ground plane (the car body) and the antenna; poor connection between the antenna cable and the antenna or any insertion point. Corrosion is the likely suspect for any poor connection problem.

BTW, I have tried all the major head units over the years and have concluded that Pioneer has the best FM section of any mainstream supplier. I don't know about AM... just don't listen to it.

yes I do have some AM but it's all static noise. I'll try to stick another antenna. Dr. Laura is only on AM darn it.

73 Tii A4 BOD Oct. 13,1972

74 Tii BOD Nov. 16,1973

FAQ Member 1683

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Mario Andretti

yes I do have some AM but it's all static noise. I'll try to stick another antenna. Dr. Laura is only on AM darn it.

Dont forget coast to coast am.

Does the static vary with the RPMS of the engine? Also what model is your radio? old blaupunkt/beckers have a matching cap you have to adjust to get am to work....

....and another OBVIOUS tech tip = DO NOT TEST YOUR RADIO (-= AM =-)

INSIDE THE GARAGE , NEAR LIGHTING, POWER LINES - HAVE

CLEAR SKY ABOVE. Do locate the tiny AM antenna trim screw

on the radio and GENTLY adjust a weak AM station to

strong clear reception. Plug a TEST antenna into the radio, and run a

grounding wire from the radio to a clean metal (no paint!) to the car body.

Becker-Nadel.jpg

Cassette.jpg

Hirschmann1.jpg

on this BECKER, the -=AM=- antenna trim screw is behind the tiny

plug here on the faceplate - between the "M" and "U". On other

radios it may be on the back side of the radio - sometimes

a "symbol" is next to the hole where the screw resides.

Usually - the "trim" screw is next to the station tuning knob - look at

the other BECKER units above and note the tiny black plug near

the station tuning knob. Remove the faceplate so you don't disturb

or loose the tiny plug - just expose the trim screw

without the faceplate.

IMG_6546.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

AM reception is greatly sensetive to a ground of the antenna. So don'd discard your stereo guy. It could be the grounding of the base or the condition of the cable itself. Make sure the radio is solidly grounded to the chassis as well. FM in most cases will work with just a piece of wire stuck into the socket.

'73 2002 Electromotive TEC II and TWM 45mm ITB's, 9.5:1 + 292 regrind cam