• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

help me prove my friend wrong - 2002 is the best

Jared

My friend and I are having a friendly argument about the 2002 and i thought who better to back me up on the site.

I know that automobile put it at #20 on their list of 100 cars.

Do you guys know of any other list I can use as ammo? (obviously my friend is wrong)

Jared

www.DrivingWhileAwesome.com

'72 tii

'00 Tacoma PreRunner

The list where your kicking his a-hole for thinking the 02 isnt a cool car!

Just show him the specs of the car, the race history of the car. the races still going on that sort of stuff.

holy negative camber batman!!!

02 Golf Yellow cruising the border of NSW/VIC!

tii pistons, 293, double valve springs, 40mm DCOE's, sump baffle, sway bars, lowered, 5spd, big brakes, 3pc wheels, bucket seats. Approx 150+hp

What are you comparing the 02 to? Yes, 02 are great little cars for what they are... But there are lots of other cars out there that are better in lots of other ways. And 02 is great little car but, apples to apples, for speed and performance, it is definitely not in the same league with a Ferrari or even a Z06 Corvette. So, before you can say it is a "better" car, what are you comparing to.

The older I get the better I was!

i am going strictly off the cool factor... my friend is car knowledgeable, but he is all about the high end- expensive cars.

You are right though, if he doesn't see it. I should just give up :)

Jared

www.DrivingWhileAwesome.com

'72 tii

'00 Tacoma PreRunner

Can't we all just get along?!?!?! LOL...in all seriousness, 02s are definitely "cult" cars and not everyone's cup of tea. I have lots of "favorites". If I had the money I'd have a collection like Jay Leno's.

Guest Anonymous

ask him about the head turns, thumbs-up, waving as u drive by, smiles as u drive by, pulling over to the side of the road to look, flashes head lights at you as you drive by, rolls down the window to talk cool factors that most cars don't have.

i get more of the above in my 1972 colorado tii than any WRX, Corvette, 550i, M6, M3, Prius, 335i driver does, because the car is just plain fun to look at and drive.

ask anybody on this board if i'm telling the truth.

timex

aka gwb72tii

ask him about the head turns, thumbs-up, waving as u drive by, smiles as u drive by, pulling over to the side of the road to look, flashes head lights at you as you drive by, rolls down the window to talk cool factors that most cars don't have.

i get more of the above in my 1972 colorado tii than any WRX, Corvette, 550i, M6, M3, Prius, 335i driver does, because the car is just plain fun to look at and drive.

timex

aka gwb72tii

I'd have to agree....CAN I GET AN AMEN FROM THE CHOIR!?!?!?!

1) There was an issue of Money magazine several years ago which recommended top 20 or so places to to invest your money. There was only one car on that list - the 2002. And therefore, by simple math, your friends car was not on that list.

2)Pick any point of measurement, and you can find another car that is better. For straightline accelaration, most every muscle car you want to list from the US can beat it. My daily driver Volvo can outbreak it. A Toyota Cammary may be more dependable. My wifes Yukon can haul more things and perform better on ice and snow. A WRX or even an old SVX can probably pull more g's on a skid pad. But the 2002 simply does all of the above exceptionally well, all in one package. I've seen very few Corvettes with a PA system in the trunk.

3)There are chick magnets, and there are chick filters. The 2002 is the latter. People don't question your motive in driving a 2002 - they know you're driving it for the fun. Be seen in a Porsche with a whale tail - well you know the cliche'.

4) Regarding the world renowned "Cult" that is the 2002 following, per capita there is simply more nice people that are fun to be around than any other car following I've been involved with. Alfa and air-cooled VW owners run a close second and third.

Stacey
Columbus, OH
No cup holders, by design.
'76 O=00=O   '77 R100RS  '85 K100 '01 325CI   '05 330XI ZSP   '80 Porsche 911SC

3)There are chick magnets, and there are chick filters. The 2002 is the latter. People don't question your motive in driving a 2002 - they know you're driving it for the fun. Be seen in a Porsche with a whale tail - well you know the cliche'.

I was getting gas at the local store on the island i live on, which has a deli, and the 20+yr old very cute young lady that works there said "that's the cutest car I've ever seen" as i walked into the store. too bad my 20yr old son wasn't driving it that day.

72 2002tii

1988 535is  “Maeve”

I've been through this before with old Porsche's vs new Nissan Zs, Honda 2000s, Mitsubishi 3000s, etc., etc. People who are truly into cars realize that classic cars are more than the sum of their parts. Sure, there are cars that are faster, more reliable, handle better and on and on. So explain the appeal of mid sixties VW buses! Or Bugeye Sprites! If it isn't obvious to your friend, then the argument is fruitless from the get go. I test drove a '73 2002 Tii back in 1973. Thirty-four years later I felt compelled to seek out a 2002. I wonder how many of today's cars will enjoy that draw 34 years from now...

Never let school get in the way of your education!

SiteNamecopy.jpg

your battle is based on subjective reasoning and can't be won...it can't be factually proven

inasmuch as i've not had the good fortune of owning or extensively driving "all other" cars therefore i'd never be so foolish as to try to convince anyone what car is the "best" car or worse, try to "prove" someones choice of cars is "wrong"

having said that...my o2's are my favorites but not in any way the best i own or have owned...my honda's would take that honor....every one i've ever owned was bulletproof

timex

aka gwb72tii

I'd have to agree....CAN I GET AN AMEN FROM THE CHOIR!?!?!?!

"YEAMEN" from here, wait til you see the attention an orange touring generates.

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours