• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whats my sports steering wheel missing

felix_666

Below is a picture of my wheel, it has a hub but no surrounding plastic or circular black disc that sits between the bolts and silver arms. I haven't seen a proper one of these so I'm not sure of the order of things.

Inside the hub there is a horn wire leading to the bottom of the hub, but then it's flat on the other side of the hub, is this right, if so how does it work?

Could someone please post a picture of the item I'm missing.

Also the horn is sticky, it half jams every time its pressed, whats the go? I opened it up and it all seem well but again i don't know whats meant to be in there apart from a spring.

cheers

CIMG3068.jpg

0112_11.jpg

part im missing

1972 RHD Auto - Sold

1973 RHD Verona - Project

1974 RHD chamonix - Towed 

yup , you know what your missing - the black

trim pieces - nice wheel

you'll probably have to buy another complete wheel to gain the bits.

you might gain some from MOMO steering parts source.

31-5404065.JPG

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Below is a picture of my wheel, it has a hub but no surrounding plastic or circular black disc that sits between the bolts and silver arms. I haven't seen a proper one of these so I'm not sure of the order of things.

Inside the hub there is a horn wire leading to the bottom of the hub, but then it's flat on the other side of the hub, is this right, if so how does it work?

Could someone please post a picture of the item I'm missing.

Also the horn is sticky, it half jams every time its pressed, whats the go? I opened it up and it all seem well but again i don't know whats meant to be in there apart from a spring.

cheers

CIMG3068.jpg

0112_11.jpg

part im missing

I have one of these wheels on my '73tii and have also seen/owned others.

If I understand your post correctly, you are missing the flat, round steel retaining ring that holds the steering wheel spokes to the hub.

This can be fab'ed from flat stock, drilled to match the hub and painted semi-gloss black. The center bore is like a Momo horn push -- about 2" or maybe a RCH more. The outside diameter can be determined from the "ghosting" on the spokes. The flat stock needs to be thick enough to accommodate a slightly countersunk panhead or flat head machine screw. I used the stainless steel philips head variety, but you can use an allen head cap screw if desired (like Momo).

The horn push is attached to a wire, spring and carbon pin (still available from M/T, ask Bill Williams @ Max). The carbon pin pokes through the hub and touches the stock 2002 contact ring on the steering column.

RE: the plastic hub shroud: If you don't have the correct one (BTW, there's more than one size, one for the 6-cyl. CS coupes and one for the 2002,) go to your local NAPA store and buy an axle boot for a front-wheel drive Taurus or other POS, and trim it to fit over the hub. Also consider just painting the hub with semi-gloss black or black wrinkle finish.

Delia

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

thanks for the help everyone.

I figured i would get the disc part machined up, and i can roughly gather the diameter of the original one, but not sure about the thickness, could some one be kind enough to measure that sucker.

In terms of the hub encasing, i'm a bit of a perfectionist so i think i'll have to try and find one or get one made up, again i need dimensions for this to be made up, i have a 35cm wheel if someone would be willing to measure that up it would be great.

And how does the plastic case attach to the wheel??

Delia: So this carbon pin must have sheared off on mine and im assuming you can tap the rest out?

thanks again everyone.

1972 RHD Auto - Sold

1973 RHD Verona - Project

1974 RHD chamonix - Towed 

thanks for the help everyone.

I figured i would get the disc part machined up, and i can roughly gather the diameter of the original one, but not sure about the thickness, could some one be kind enough to measure that sucker.

In terms of the hub encasing, i'm a bit of a perfectionist so i think i'll have to try and find one or get one made up, again i need dimensions for this to be made up, i have a 35cm wheel if someone would be willing to measure that up it would be great.

And how does the plastic case attach to the wheel??

Delia: So this carbon pin must have sheared off on mine and im assuming you can tap the rest out?

thanks again everyone.

"Sheared off" is not likely, but a bodged attempt at repair might answer your question. Get the new part, then see how simple (and effectively) it works.

Delia

1973 2002tii - gone

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

deliawolfe@gmail.com

The center bore is like a Momo horn push -- about 2" or maybe a RCH more.

that gave me a good laugh, glad to see its used universally between sexes.

It was only used among the "car guys" I used to race/rally with in Michigan until their offspring (including the girls) went off to College, became engineers, then came back and terrorized us all with their new technical language and skills mixed in with their father's smart-assed vocabulary.

There's a saying that goes like this: "You know your getting old when your friends kids start looking good to you."

cheers!

Delia

1973 2002tii - gone

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

deliawolfe@gmail.com