• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

VDO Guages

Jon_uk

I also use a wideband 02 sensor and a Split second 02 meter.

Be careful of the ranges when you order.

You want normal operating levels as close to the middle of the range on the meter as you can get.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

as the 0-70 VDO gauge will get pegged on a cool/cold morning startup with 20w-50 oil...I've seen 130 psi on my gauge on a really cold morning--and that was with a worn engine!

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I have an oil temp, oil pressure, volt, and like Bill, a Split Second O2 sensor. I tend to monitor the Split Second and Oil Pressure the closest.

Stacey
Columbus, OH
No cup holders, by design.
'76 O=00=O   '77 R100RS  '85 K100 '01 325CI   '05 330XI ZSP   '80 Porsche 911SC

Bill:

Does your Oil Temp Gauge move at all? I have the same range 100-300 degrees, and the needle hardly moves at all. It may be the location of the sender, as we've discussed before, but I was just wondering what is a "normal reading" for you.

Thanks,

John

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

degrees F on my oil temp gauge, sometimes as high as 225...and that's with synthetic oil.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

degrees F on my oil temp gauge, sometimes as high as 225...and that's with synthetic oil.

mike

I don't think my gauge is working properly then. Oil pressure works fine though! :-) I'll have to get to the bottom of it some day.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

And when you install the gauges, rotate them off centre so that when the normal operating condition is present, the pointer will be straight up. While driving, a quick glance at the instruments will be all you need to see if everything is "right up" or if there is a problem.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

as the 0-70 VDO gauge will get pegged on a cool/cold morning startup with 20w-50 oil...I've seen 130 psi on my gauge on a really cold morning--and that was with a worn engine!

mike

Mike,

That's from a worn out oil psi regulating piston and cylinder in the old style oil pump (magnesium). I had a similar problem AFTER I built a motor for my car years ago.

4th of July, over my friend Bill's house on his new cement driveway my oil filter gasket blew out dumping a lot of oil on the fresh concrete. I later hooked up a mechanical gauge and saw 170 for a moment at start up.

I have been looking for a tranny to exhaust mount for you but i can't find it in my piles of stuff.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

and we will make sure we heat it up!

I have my oil temp gauge on the oil pan. The oil temp closely tracks that of the water temp. But because the scale is different on the oil temp, it moves less.

On the way to Colorado, I saw it close to 220 degrees in Kansas there Toto.

Oil pressure went to nil almost.

FAQ member #5

I just ordered a new center consul from Mark at Parker Performance http://www.parkerperformance.com/ to replace my ash tray, new radio/CD and a full set of VDO gages. He has oil sending sensors, wiring harness and several choices of VDO gages. Great guy to deal with.

CenterConsul.jpg

A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five. Groucho Marx

1972 2002tii

• 3 months later...

which the tell tale gas of the fuel to air mixture.

For tiis, this is the way to see if you have a healthy mixture. It requires a broad band oxygen sensor in the downpipe.

A narrow band sensor will not work.

FAQ member #5