• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HELP! All Keys stolen, car locked in garage

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

My house was broken into earlier this week and all keys to my '73 tii were stolen. The car is in the garage with everything locked except the trunk. Is it possible to get new keys from Max/Mobile Tradition or someone else with the VIN#? I will eventually change all of the locks but for now I just want to get in and drive! TIA...

COOP

$50 and take the pink slip to a lock smith. They should be able to make you a new one. Had to do it with my E30. Also disable the car so they cannot come back and get it.

Damn. That sucks big time.

If Mobile Tradition doesn't cut keys from a VIN (remember that after 35 years, it is even possible that the locks have been changed). It is no big deal to change all the locks, with locks and keys from another car.

It is very easy to change the barrels from the handles, it only requires 15 minutes per side and a thin punch to push the two pins that hold the push mechanism in the handle. The steering tumbler is a bit more involved, but won't take more than an hour. Still need a punch. And then the trunk.

If you want to enter your car, I am afraid you will have to break one window.

I think you should start asking who has a set of locks/keys. And in a few hours, you'll drive the car.

Massivescript_specs.jpg

Brake harder. Go faster.

If you want to enter your car, I am afraid you will have to break one window.

Uh no....... A slim jim or an coat hanger should suffice, these cars are not that difficult to break into. worst case scenario call a tow truck or locksmith, either should be able to open it easily...........

MJ

75 2002

76 2002

71 F250 camper special

you can probably insert a coat hanger by pulling the glass on the top, hook it on the door handle and pull, it should open the door. After that, you can remove the trim panel, remove the door handle and take it to a locksmith to make you a key, which should match your ignition. It is a pain in the ass and a hassle. Careful do not damage the door trim with the coat hanger, you probably need a helper to guide you by looking from the opposite window.

FAQ Member # 91

You actually drive that thing? It doesn't look like it. You should try breaking into the car using what Michael suggested. You can also use something the pull the window out more while you do your work. If your ignition and door keys were matching you can just punch in the stud or if it has already been done it might be a set screw holding the ignition barrel in. It is very easy to do and you can just take that to a locksmith and they will be able to take it from there.

speed costs money how fast do you want to go

IF your in socal I can come down open your car and get a key made all you need to do is take the pink slip to the dealer and they can give you a key code. Then all you need to do is take that key code to a auto locksmith and they will cut you a new key on the spot..I do this twice a week or so I need keys for the cars I repo.... if you want me to pop open your car email me at

ktm625 at gmail.com

1974 bmw 2002tii

2006 ktm smc625 supermoto

2002 porsche 911 ct2

My house was broken into earlier this week and all keys to my '73 tii were stolen. The car is in the garage with everything locked except the trunk. Is it possible to get new keys from Max/Mobile Tradition or someone else with the VIN#? I will eventually change all of the locks but for now I just want to get in and drive! TIA...COOP

1) get a replacement wing window lined up

2) get a glass-cutter and score a deep circle into the wing window you'll replace (sorry, but it has to be done) tap out the circle and with care you'll minimize glass-shatter-scatter

3) remove your door handle and take it to a locksmith, theres a number stamped into the inside portion of the handle which provides the keycode for your locksmith. Take both handles down if you want to be doubly sure the key you have made will work. Try it in both handles. This will match your ignition switch key.

4) remove the rear trunk cylinder and take IT to the locksmith also, I don't think there was ever a number stamped on that one, but they can cut a key to fit the tumblers in it.

hope this helps...

------------------------

why list 'em...they're all projects anyways!

My house was broken into earlier this week and all keys to my '73 tii were stolen. The car is in the garage with everything locked except the trunk. Is it possible to get new keys from Max/Mobile Tradition or someone else with the VIN#? I will eventually change all of the locks but for now I just want to get in and drive! TIA...COOP

2) get a glass-cutter and score a deep circle into the wing window you'll replace (sorry, but it has to be done) tap out the circle and with care you'll minimize glass-shatter-scatter

3) remove your door handle and take it to a locksmith, theres a number stamped into the inside portion of the handle which provides the keycode for your locksmith. Take both handles down if you want to be doubly sure the key you have made will work. Try it in both handles. This will match your ignition switch key.

4) remove the rear trunk cylinder and take IT to the locksmith also, I don't think there was ever a number stamped on that one, but they can cut a key to fit the tumblers in it.

hope this helps...

You are taking the piss right? Apart from what Dubois said you can prise off the chrome trim across the top of the door and put a coat hanger down there and pull up the horizontal bar that operates the lock - open in 60 seconds, or something like that! No broken glass required.

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

First, get a big rock or possibly an old Chicago brick circa the 1920's. Then throw it through your front windshield. Once you've done that, get a high pressure hose or pressure washer and spray off all the glass, making sure to soak down anything inside that might have gotten glass on it. Next, take a crow bar to your steering column. You may want to hit it a few times with a sledge hammer as well. Do this repeatedly until the lock mechanism either falls out of something or is the only thing left intact. Or until one of the doors falls off. Better yet, just call a locksmith, pony up the money to have him come out to the house and rekey it and claim it on your homeowners insurance. Sorry to hear about your house being broken into, to me that's a huge violation. They say 90% of these type of crimes are commited by someone you know or knows a friend of yours or your family. I hope they didn't get too much.

1969 BMW 2002/2002 MB C32 AMG(FOR SALE)/1998 Mitsubishi Chariot/2001 Nissan March

Better yet, just call a locksmith, pony up the money to have him come out to the house and rekey it and claim it on your homeowners insurance. Sorry to hear about your house being broken into, to me that's a huge violation. They say 90% of these type of crimes are commited by someone you know or knows a friend of yours or your family. I hope they didn't get too much.

Seems you may want the locksmith to rearrange the tumblers so the old keys don't work in your car anymore. Why would someone steal keys? -Unless it was to get your car at a later date.

Jerry

no bimmer, for now

hope this helps...

You are taking the piss right? Apart from what Dubois said you can prise off the chrome trim across the top of the door and put a coat hanger down there and pull up the horizontal bar that operates the lock - open in 60 seconds, or something like that! No broken glass required.

"Taking the piss" ? Perhaps your comment is just lost in translation ??

What dubois said: run a wire down from the top of the window and try to latch the door handle? Why not just say "ruin the weatherstrip by jamming something in there" Ask me how I know this.

What you said: Pry off the chrome strip and stick a wire in there. OK, that might work, although the mechanism inside functions in the reverse of almost all other vehicles, meaning it cannot be pulled or pushed in the same fashion as most other vehicles. Besides, you would still be at risk of damaging the trim moulding or paint. Ask me how I know this as well.

My experience is that a wing window is a lot less expensive to replace than the rubber weatherstrip or the door trim (or paint) should any of these things get damaged. I only know this because I've done all three. And of all three, the fastest and cheapest is by sacrificing the wing window, as described.

"je pisse sur vos chaussures françaises stupides"

------------------------

why list 'em...they're all projects anyways!