• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HELP! All Keys stolen, car locked in garage

Guest Anonymous

My house was broken into earlier this week and all keys to my '73 tii were stolen. The car is in the garage with everything locked except the trunk. Is it possible to get new keys from Max/Mobile Tradition or someone else with the VIN#? I will eventually change all of the locks but for now I just want to get in and drive! TIA...COOP

1) get a replacement wing window lined up

2) get a glass-cutter and score a deep circle into the wing window you'll replace (sorry, but it has to be done) tap out the circle and with care you'll minimize glass-shatter-scatter

3) remove your door handle and take it to a locksmith, theres a number stamped into the inside portion of the handle which provides the keycode for your locksmith. Take both handles down if you want to be doubly sure the key you have made will work. Try it in both handles. This will match your ignition switch key.

4) remove the rear trunk cylinder and take IT to the locksmith also, I don't think there was ever a number stamped on that one, but they can cut a key to fit the tumblers in it.

hope this helps...

You are taking the piss right? Apart from what Dubois said you can prise off the chrome trim across the top of the door and put a coat hanger down there and pull up the horizontal bar that operates the lock - open in 60 seconds, or something like that! No broken glass required.

"Taking the piss" ? Perhaps your comment is just lost in translation ??

What dubois said: run a wire down from the top of the window and try to latch the door handle? Why not just say "ruin the weatherstrip by jamming something in there" Ask me how I know this.

What you said: Pry off the chrome strip and stick a wire in there. OK, that might work, although the mechanism inside functions in the reverse of almost all other vehicles, meaning it cannot be pulled or pushed in the same fashion as most other vehicles. Besides, you would still be at risk of damaging the trim moulding or paint. Ask me how I know this as well.

My experience is that a wing window is a lot less expensive to replace than the rubber weatherstrip or the door trim (or paint) should any of these things get damaged. I only know this because I've done all three. And of all three, the fastest and cheapest is by sacrificing the wing window, as described.

"je pisse sur vos chaussures françaises stupides"

#1 Dave, you have inspired me to write a FAQ on this controversial subject

#2 Nick, the "piss" part must be a Britt slang, none of us in this part of the pond got it ... LOL

#3 For the record I went to the garage and tried my suggested method and it worked with no damage - 5 minutes

#4 Dave: "je pisse sur vos chaussures françaises stupides" what does it mean? Is this something I should repeat when I visit Nick next year??? LOL

Step 1:

standard.jpg

Step 2:

standard.jpg

Step 3:

standard.jpg

Step 4:

standard.jpg

Step 5:

standard.jpg

Step 6:

standard.jpg

this is the length and shape you should use:

standard.jpg

A final note: you could use a little lubricant to make your coat hanger slide if the rubber is brittle. (I used none) Verify the position from the other window before you pull. Welding rod works better.

FAQ Member # 91

"taking the piss" = extracting the michael, aka, taking the mickey - ie: are you serious?

You'd think you guys on that side of the pond could speak the Queens English by now! Great write up Michael - could have saved that bloke some broken glass!

Speak the Queens English?

This is America!

Hey Nick, There is an outside chance we may be able to come visit next spring.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

"taking the piss" = extracting the michael, aka, taking the mickey - ie: are you serious?

You'd think you guys on that side of the pond could speak the Queens English by now! Great write up Michael - could have saved that bloke some broken glass!

It would have been a huge savings, what, 10 bucks and 30 seconds with a vaccuum?

I AM sure your method works though. I just see it as rather hack and typical '02-ite ...prying and pulling on your car to make something work...and damned the risk to other much more expensive parts. Does prying on the window with a lever fix wind noise problems too?

I'd apologize for not knowing what your piss remark meant, but to heck with the queen's english you're an expatriate in france anyways! Does she really talk that way?

Besides, we may yet have our OWN queen here soon enough, bless 'er 'eart!

hillary_fashion.jpg

------------------------

why list 'em...they're all projects anyways!

Guest Anonymous

I really appreciate the great input (less so the advice to break or cut windows!) and the humor (that bit about the brick and the power washer had me rolling!). Getting into the car doesn't present a challenge as I have broken-in to many (of my) past '02s using the tried and trued paint stirrer/coat-hanger method. I just got off the phone with Jason at Max/MT and he is trying to get me original keys re-cut. I'm keeping my fingers crossed because Jason said BMW randomly eliminates a healthy number of VIN numbers from their files every year (!). If he can't come up with the keys, I'm looking at a pretty healthy bill for parts and labor. Again, THANK YOU.

COOP