• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

3.64LSD problem

BLUNT

i have a 364lsd in my 69. it works fine but on deceleration it makes all kinds of noise. really annoying and i either need to get another unit or have this rebuilt or something. i dont know much about diffs but i was wondering if anyone knows what might be the problem? maybe just a bearing replacement or something simple im hoping? its full of synthetic gear oil and other than that noise it works fine. i just cant live with the noise. push the clutch in on deceleration and it all goes away. only when theres a a load on it decelerating

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

Sounds like the preload on the ring and pinion is not set right. As far as I know, a factory LSD should not make any noise.

Your not running a Detroit Locker are you?

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

what kind of noise is it? like a "shimming" sound?

You didn't fart or anything on decel right blunt?

Aashish

1969 BMW 2002--I gotta finish this damn thing

1987 BMW 325is--S52 Monster

1975 Innocenti Mini 1001-- the most cost dense car ever!

1995 318ti

2004 BMW 330i ZHP

2004 Toyota Tacoma (gotta have something reliable!)--can't live without

what kind of noise is it? like a "shimming" sound?

You didn't fart or anything on decel right blunt?

i might have but thats usually followed by an ungodly stench and that isnt consistent in this case. yes id say its like a shimming noise. driveshaft joints are tight and not notchy. i know its the diff because it started immediately after installing it. its suppose to be a 40% lock up

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

If it howls,

that really seems like it's the gear backlash,

not anything to do with the lsd part...

It's quite possible to set up a hypoid gear to

be very quiet and efficient in one loading,

and noisy and self- destructive in the other.

bearing history?

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Have you recently disassembled it/reassembled? You have to check for backlash. Not backdraft.

Aashish

1969 BMW 2002--I gotta finish this damn thing

1987 BMW 325is--S52 Monster

1975 Innocenti Mini 1001-- the most cost dense car ever!

1995 318ti

2004 BMW 330i ZHP

2004 Toyota Tacoma (gotta have something reliable!)--can't live without

My standard diff made a whining noise when I let off the peddle on the over run. And the whining got worse and worse until it went bang. Hence me asking about how to change the diff :-)

So if it is anything like mine I would get it overhauled before it goes wrong.

Regards

James

My standard diff made a whining noise when I let off the peddle on the over run. And the whining got worse and worse until it went bang. Hence me asking about how to change the diff :-)

So if it is anything like mine I would get it overhauled before it goes wrong.

Regards

James

I changed the diff oil in my E30M3 with Red Line synthetic gear oil and it made all kinds of noise. I posted the problem on s14.net and found out sometime diff's just don't like synthetic oils. Someone recommended a limited slip diff additive that GM uses. I purchased a small bottle of the stuff at a local dealer. After adding the stuff, no more noise.

Phil/Bomb Guy in Colorado

2002 E46M3

2002 E46 325 xi

1991 E30 325ix

1970 2002 M2

1966 Mustang

I would first suspect clutch or transmission. It could be the diff, but that would be my third guess.

im certain its the diff. the noise is clearly coming from the rear. i have no rear seat and its very apparent. before i installed the new motor i ran this diff for a short time and the noise started the day i installed it. since then ive switched motors and trannys and the same noise is still there. i have not dissasembled it, only put fresh synthetic in it. i think ill run it as is till the snow flies and then have it rebuilt or something.

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com