• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you think soaking rusted bolt with PB Blaster works?

Hi, I have the rusted bolts on the rear subframe mount bushing. These are the bolts that go horizontally through a sleve in the subframe. Initial pounding with a sledge did nothing so I have been spraying every day with PB Blaster and giving them some wacks.

Since it has been 34 years, I don't have a problem doing this every day for a month or so, but don't want to waste my time.

Should I just get supper burly with hammers and torches and ice or should I keep soaking and wacking for a month or so?

Or to my orginial question, has anyone ever soaked a rusted bolt with penetrating oil for an extended period and seen it make any difference?

Is there something better than PB Blaster? The can reads like Dr Bronners for the gargage (watch for the movie.)

Ray,  Current BMWs, 1973 BMW 2002, Turkis, and 1997 BMW 318i 5sp avus blue.  Drove a lot and sold over the years, in reverse chron.

1997 m3 coupe silver, 1998 318ti red, 1996 318ti red,

1973 2002 Agave, 1971 2002  GM brown

Might work. I've had excellent results using AeroKroil. Worked on some shower handles in my house that had hed not been removed in a long time. I'd tried giant screwdrivers, huge channel locks, all to no avail. Sprayed 'em w/ AreoKroil, waited 5 minutes, and removed them easily be hand. They make a number of great products. Google 'em under Kroil Industries, I think. It's worked on numerous bolts on my cars over the years.

Bob Napier

Hey Ray,

did you try just beating it to death with an impact wrench?

Impact wrench not needed. The nuts came off easy. It is the shafts of 2 of the 4 bolts that won't slide out of the tube through the subframe.

Anyone have any suggestions for something really cold I could spray the bolt with while I am flaming the tube?

Ray,  Current BMWs, 1973 BMW 2002, Turkis, and 1997 BMW 318i 5sp avus blue.  Drove a lot and sold over the years, in reverse chron.

1997 m3 coupe silver, 1998 318ti red, 1996 318ti red,

1973 2002 Agave, 1971 2002  GM brown

Hey Ray,

Anyone have any suggestions for something really cold I could spray the bolt with while I am flaming the tube?

canned / pressurized air has a "below freezing temperature" spray, when you hold the can upside down and spray it...

it can normally be found in any office supply, computer supply, and sometimes hardware stores...

gif_dancinggir.gif :::Chris::: -> '04 VW GTI 1.8T ("Squeakers") -> 1975 BMW 2002 ("Gir")

Guest Anonymous

There is an old expression: the right tools for the right job. Penetrating oil works to a point and its certainly a lot less aggressive or damaging to the surrounding parts than heat or pneumatic tools - so it could not hurt.

I recall a salesman once demonstrating how he used pool supply chlorine (bleach) on some rusty trailer bolts and he was able to remove them where another mechanic was only able to break the heads off the bolts. Of course the chlorine would ultimately cause more corrosion, but the point of the demonstration was to establish the lubricity of some common items. I am not suggesting you use pool chemicals, but where there is a will, there is a way!

Tell us what ultimately works on Turquiose!