• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ireland Engineering aluminum radiator clearance

cj

problems. Has anyone else had this problem? I installed it and the fan hits the radiator. Any solutions?

Cris

Proud member #113

The rides!

www.cardomain.com/ride/792851

www.cardomain.com/ride/792793

no issues with stock fan at all..... maybe your car is bent or your motor is mounted to far forward somehow?

see pics here

http://bmw1602.lostbrazilian.com/v1/get_thumbs_on_fly.php?imgid=3786&nw=640&nh=480

perfect clearance shot for you for the fan

http://bmw1602.lostbrazilian.com/v1/get_thumbs_on_fly.php?imgid=3788&nw=640&nh=480

http://bmw1602.lostbrazilian.com/v1/get_thumbs_on_fly.php?imgid=3789&nw=640&nh=480

68' 1602

98' ///M3 Sedan

88' ///M3 Sold *

06' ///M3 Competition Pkg Sold *

http://www.bmw1602.com/

topbanner.gif

I had the same problem. So I did this

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,289470/

I've never been happier with how my car drives. Super smooth and a considerable notice in low end power. The total cost was around $500 but for me it was a much better solution then cutting off my nose and welding on a new one.

- Jonathan

co-owner of a 73 M2 project

Insta: @peanut_the2002

@hou5er

they get softer (and shear) with age. When I pulled my engine for a rebuild last year, I found a broken rubber pax side mount--no telling how long it had been broken either.

And if you have an early car (pre 71 or so) with the old style pax side engine mount bracket (just a folded over piece of steel sheet), they fracture. Make sure you have the later style with welded reinforcements and ears to keep the engine from moving if the mount breaks. Early ones don't have that feature and will cause the engine to shift (and rest on the center track rod) if the mount or bracket breaks.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Cris, I didn't have as big a problem with clearance with the IE radiator as I had with the rather misleading and / or incomplete wording in the ad for the radiator on their website.

"Direct fit" I mean really, there is nothing "direct" about it! Especially when (obviously) only one of the 4 holes to mount it actually lined up with existing holes. When I read "direct fit" I am thinking that you remove the old one and bolt the new one in it's place....no drilling....no cutting.....no BS!!! This is NOT the case with their aluminum radiator, and everyone I've related this story to agrees that "direct fit" should mean just that!

To top of this poorly written ad there is no mention of what is REQUIRED to make that unit mount up correctly, ie. "some holes may need to be drilled and cutting of the battery tray may be required."

Hell, if you are going to go through all the trouble of making something like that at least you could make it to "bolt-in" without having to mod, cut or drill into sheet metal. Yes, that means you make a template with original mounting hole locations and have them made from that template. This is "Engineering 101", pretty basic stuff.

Sending a drawing on a napkin over to Joe Schmucks radiator shop and saying "build me an aluminum radiator" then marketing whatever shows up from Joe's as a "direct fit" just isn't going to cut it! (NOTE: this likely didn't happen, BUT it doesn't show when you try to mount the final product)

As you might have guessed by now I bought one of those radiators, and was very disappointed when I discovered they were NOT a "direct fit" as advertised. I promptly sold it with a notice stateing that mods would be needed to make it fit. It sold quickly and I immediately went out and bought one of those 3 core 2002 radiators from the Silicon Garage and bolted it up to the original mounting holes in less than 20 minutes.

OK....I'm done ranting now.

Jan20sm.jpg

1975 2002 - Tastefully Modified - SOLD!

1987 535is - 3300 Pounds of FLAMING Dynamite - (STX)

1984 M635 - #408

Holy crap!! You wouldve had to drill a grand total of four holes.

And by the way,

Direct quote from IE's site.

"These are wider than the standard units similar to the turbo radiator so you must drill a couple holes for the mounting bolts."

1990 325i

1976 2002

Holy crap!! You wouldve had to drill a grand total of four holes.

And by the way,

Direct quote from IE's site.

"These are wider than the standard units similar to the turbo radiator so you must drill a couple holes for the mounting bolts."

NOT just drilling, but cutting on the battery tray would have been needed as well....something I am not equipped for, ...and that wasn't mentioned either.

It didn't say anything about "drilling" or "cutting" when I bought mine! After telling the head honcho about it over the phone they likely added that later, since I made a special point about their descriptive text while I had him on the phone.

Using "direct fit" has got to be the worst selection of words to describe that radiator!!! I know I am not the only one that bought one thinking it would just "bolt in". Others posted here thinking the same thing.

I go back to my point: If you are going to go through the trouble of making one why don't you just make one that "fits" without drilling.....or be very clear about what is required to mount it!

Jan20sm.jpg

1975 2002 - Tastefully Modified - SOLD!

1987 535is - 3300 Pounds of FLAMING Dynamite - (STX)

1984 M635 - #408