• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Halotron & Halon Fire Extinguishers

My 10 year old 1.25 lb Halon Fire Extinguisher that I brought from Imparts (in St Louis) - remember that place? (they had cool stuff), went dead. I always carry an extinguisher in all my vehicles...and the Halon one was in my '73tii.

So, I am in the market for another one....I have been doing research and the Halon and now Halotron extinguishers are the best to have in a car because it doesn't leave a mess and residue behind in the event of using it on an engine fire, etc. like most dry powder extinguishers.

Anyway, seems like Halon is tough to get, and not as environmentally friendly, so it looks like I'm going to go with a Halotron 1 style extinguisher....the one in Griot's Garage Catalog runs $115 for the 1.25 lb one (it's chrome)...that's alot of jack.

Any ideas for a source, better price?

Thanks,

John

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

The prices on these things is really crazy! UPS considers them hazardous substances, so shipping costs are often higher as well! Sheesh!

You can still get Halon, but it's sort of like recharging the a/c with R12 "Freon"!

Won't be long and we won't be able to buy spray paint either!

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

John, if you haven't figured out what to do with your depressurized halon extinguisher, there are folks out there who will buy it. Halon is now being banked, since worldwide treaty prohibits production yet some apps can't use anything else. Halon Banking Systems in MN say they buy halon 1301, 1211, 2402 and FM-200, and will pay shipping costs. Click 'services':

http://www.halonbankingsystems.com/

Edit: It also seems that those same folks will recharge your old canister. Dunno how much $.

MichaelP

BMW_CCA Blue Ridge Chapter

'71 1600

'71 2800CS

'73 3.0CS

'91 318ic

http://www.crismanpetrus.us

John, if you haven't figured out what to do with your depressurized halon extinguisher, there are folks out there who will buy it. Halon is now being banked, since worldwide treaty prohibits production yet some apps can't use anything else. Halon Banking Systems in MN say they buy halon 1301, 1211, 2402 and FM-200, and will pay shipping costs. Click 'services':

http://www.halonbankingsystems.com/

Edit: It also seems that those same folks will recharge your old canister. Dunno how much $.

They are still used heavily in colo's around the world (server farms). My coworker had a halon jet explode above his head right here in San Francisco. Luckily he got out before the halon sucked the air from his lungs. They bought him lunch so its guess that makes it better?!

forum-sig.gif

Guest Anonymous

John, I carry that exact extinguisher in my car. Griot's had decent prices but I did find mine at the monthly car swap held in Long Beacg, CA. The vendor there was selling them for $100, tax included. Seemed like the best deal I could find.

They are still used heavily in colo's around the world (server farms). My coworker had a halon jet explode above his head right here in San Francisco. Luckily he got out before the halon sucked the air from his lungs. They bought him lunch so its guess that makes it better?!

ya when I worked in an old main frame comp lab we had like 1 min to get out of there after hitting the fire suppression system or it'd kill us. They made a big deal out of it .. i was like, crap. Let it burn! I"m not going to die if I twist my ankle trying to get out of a sub basement!