• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anybody have any experiences with an e28 - 535is?

punchesdfw

Nick got a Summer internship with the Corps of Engineers and is going to need a daily driver w/ AC. I found an '87 535is with cold air than I can pick-up for $2500. What do you guys (and gals) think?

e46-330ci, e46-325ci Vert., e36-328is, e30-325is, M20-2002, K110, K75, '71 Jeepster Commando

Guest Anonymous

I have an 87 535is which has been a great car for me for a number of years. It's easy to work on, reliable and a whole lot of fun to drive! The torque of the M30 is something else. I'd head over to mye28.com and read up a little about the car. and the community associated with it.

Like all cars, there are some tiket "insurance" items you'll want to set aside some money for right off the bat, especially if it hasn't been maintained very well. Let me know if you have any questions, I'm always open to a phone call!

car.jpg

And another I used to own...

CIMG1446.jpg

CIMG1431.jpg

Remove the cam cover and inspect the cam lobes and rocker

arms. That car loved to eat them.

Check the valve clearance, change all the fluids,

and pray the A/C holds on a while.

Was an EXCELLENT model.

masive oil leaks at the timing covers, oil pan, and head gasket are normal

DO NOT OVER FILL THE POWER STEERING - READ AN OWNERS HANDBOOK OR REPAIR MANUAL FIRST.

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Great cars, we look after a few of them, and I've owned them as well. Also watch for control and thrust arm problems, broken rear springs, subframe mounts, "dogbones", slow windows, leaky tail light gaskets, and crappy old fuses just like an 02.

All those are common E28 maladies, and easily fixed.

Al

Remove the cam cover and inspect the cam lobes and rocker arms. That car loved to eat them.

Well maintained, 400,000 mile M30s are common. Ours has 300k so far and the head has never been off of it. It gets oil every 3-5k and the banjo bolts on the valve sprayer bar are checked every 15k, when the valves are adjusted. That said, there are seals leaking all over the place (see below), and I'm probably just going to swap in another motor. There are lots of good M30s out there for cheap.

massive oil leaks at the timing covers, oil pan, and head gasket are normal

Add main rear seal (trans/engine) to that list, though massive might be too strong a word. A complete set of all those gaskets is ~$350 and requires engine removal/and or lowering subframe. You can live with the leaks for a while, but the oil will wreak havoc on the E28's notoriously sensitive front suspension bushings, so if the subject car has minor leaking and front end shimmy around 50-60mph, the engine will have to be dealt with first -- otherwise, you're wasting money, knuckle skin and blood on bushings.

Any well-maintained E28 535 is a bullet proof tank. We've had ours about 5 years now and it's been a very reliable ride. If you're willing to turn wrenches yourself, it can pretty economical, too. Aside from the upcoming motor replacement, it's cost me less than $1,000 in parts to go 100,000 miles (radiator, water pump, starter and a bunch of bushings). A 100-150k replacement motor is less than $500.

Lots more 535i/is info here:

http://www.m535i.org/e28info2.html

MichaelP

BMW_CCA Blue Ridge Chapter

'71 1600

'71 2800CS

'73 3.0CS

'91 318ic

http://www.crismanpetrus.us

I have owned 4 now, and will always own one! Attached is a picture of my current child, an 85 Euro M5 turbo. I just got it back from the shop after 8 months, WOW, what a car!

post-1509-1366757725687_thumb.jpg

John Barlow Los Angeles, Ca.

John@VintageMotorsportGroup.com

EBay: NeueKlasseBMWs

O==00==O

www.SoCalVintageBMW.com

www.VintageMotorsportGroup.com

Vintage BMW Source

Motorsport Legends

Groma Race Fabrication

i part them for a living, and ive never seen it, have had them go to 300k with awful previous owners. is it a maintance neglect problem? its the only thing i ever hear about going wrong and yet ive never seen it, so im curious.

-Marty

'73 Atlantik-Hubert-

R 1 3

'-|--|

2 4

i part them for a living, and ive never seen it, have had them go to 300k with awful previous owners. is it a maintance neglect problem? its the only thing i ever hear about going wrong and yet ive never seen it, so im curious.

No, I've never seen an M30 eat a cam, either. And we just pulled an original one apart from a 2800cs. Also JUST finished a valve adjust on a 280k km 635csi, with no signs of cam wear.

2.7L M20, on the other hand? Yikes.

Al

an '88 535is is my daily driver.

ditto on what has been said above, great cars and relatively easy to maintain. the chaiin-drive M30 is bullet proof.

Mine has less than 160k and I'm keeping it forever!!

Colin K.

Malaga '72 tii