• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Salt and Pepper Carpet Sources?

tsteph12

I've done a FAQ search re: the closest match for original German loop salt and pepper carpet. Two sources seem to be Bimmer Parts (Ultimate Carpet Kit) and Auto-Interior.com (Black Fawn)

The links are:

http://www.auto-interior.com/loopcarpet2.htm#colors

http://www.partsbmw.com/showproducts.asp?MainCat=1968%20~%201976%20BMW%202002%20Restoration%20Parts&SubCat1=Interior&CookieID=AEU28KJ87

Do any member have experience with either of these kit sources? If so, please post impressions. Thanks.

T.R.

I got some samples from auto interiors and felt the size of the loop was way too big, kind of like the carpet in a house. Call them and ask for some samples and they will send them to you (it takes a week or two...) before you make any orders.

Casey

...do you wash your underpants while wearing them in the shower ? (C.D. - 5/28/2009)

MVC-025S.jpgMVC-023S.jpg

toepad1.jpgcarpet5.jpg

Auto Custom Interiors...is the factory that ships for Auto Interiors..you can order samples online and you'll have them within a few days from ordering...use the "live chat" feature at the website

i have 4 sets of their carpets in my o2 and other cars...the size of the loop is the same as you'll get from any other source, no larger, no smaller...it's as good or a better quality than a lot of the online vendors...

it's also less expensive than the other vendors, as you know from shopping

i bought two sets from them back in the 90's and they were as close to OEM as one could want. unfortunately, i don't think they are available anymore. they were bought out by maximillian imports as i recall.

good carpets. i wish they were still available. the salt and pepper would be nice to have available again. the other thing i'm noticing on ALL the kits i've ordered recently is the lack of vinyl edging on the kickpanel pieces. it's suppose to wrap around the door jamb and be held in place with the edge trim. these carpet kits are missing this small detail that really helps hold it in place.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Hello Esty,

I checked their site, but find no link for 02 kits. Perhaps I missed it?

T.R.

you posted a link to the carpets at auto interiors....what couldn't you find....?

auto interiors does not make or sell the carpet sets they advertise...they are re-sellers only...all of the colors listed at their site are from Auto Custom Carpets...the link i gave you...get the colors from auto interiors site then, if you want them, order samples thru Auto Custom Carpet's site

comprende?

Here is a picture of the Auto Interiors Gold Wheat color compared to the original nasty carpet that was in my 73tii. The carpet samples at the bottom are from World Upholstery.

To find the 2002 carpets listed on the Auto Interiors site you will have to select the model year as 1975 or it will not show a listing... The carpet labeled domestic loop on my picture will likely be the (roughly) same quality no matter what company you order it from like Esty mentioned. Only the black fawn and gold wheat are the larger loop sizes.

Hope this helps.

Casey

post-548-13667576860407_thumb.jpg

...do you wash your underpants while wearing them in the shower ? (C.D. - 5/28/2009)

Hello Esty,

I checked their site, but find no link for 02 kits. Perhaps I missed it?

T.R.

you posted a link to the carpets at auto interiors....what couldn't you find....?

auto interiors does not make or sell the carpet sets they advertise...they are re-sellers only...all of the colors listed at their site are from Auto Custom Carpets...the link i gave you...get the colors from auto interiors site then, if you want them, order samples thru Auto Custom Carpet's site

comprende?

I think what he means is that if he enters a random year, like say 1969 or 1971, the Mfr listing does not show BMW. What I did was try 1975 and BMW shows up in the Mfr listing. Hope this helps.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

the other thing i'm noticing on ALL the kits i've ordered recently is the lack of vinyl edging on the kickpanel pieces. it's suppose to wrap around the door jamb and be held in place with the edge trim. these carpet kits are missing this small detail that really helps hold it in place.

Not ALL the sets are missing that little detail. ;-)

It is important not only for function, but also for proper look. Ours comes with a vinyl flap sewn on the edge.

Al

I think what he means is that if he enters a random year, like say 1969 or 1971, the Mfr listing does not show BMW. What I did was try 1975 and BMW shows up in the Mfr listing. Hope this helps.

i'm daft sometimes...here's the link....BMW carpet....all years of 2002 are the same...regardless of the year model you select on the website

about seams perfect {1600pilot, aka al larson, aka al canuck}...it may contain a missing detail but the problem will be getting it after you pay for it or getting it when you want, need it and have to have it.....it's only available in a few colors without padding....there's a long history of non performance by seams perfect and the owner has a long history of being a deadbeat...so buyers beware

Ya' know, I gotta say I'm really happy with my Seams Perfect carpet kit. I had decent original carpet in my '02, and I replaced it due to the faded trans tunnel area. The Canuck kit fit and installed as good as the stock carpet. All the edging in place and aesthetically pleasing everytime I look in my interior. The loop he used was nearly the same as stock.

Cris

Proud member #113

The rides!

www.cardomain.com/ride/792851

www.cardomain.com/ride/792793

i'm daft sometimes...here's the link....BMW carpet....all years of 2002 are the same...regardless of the year model you select on the website

Are they? The earlier cars have the seat slider adjuster as part of the seat, no cut out for the release mechanism as on the later cars. Does this manufacturer make the side piece of carpet with or without the cutout?

RK in OC

ex- 67 1600ti/Aplina

http://rogerspeed.tripod.com/bmw_1600tialpina/

83 A/R Spider Veloce

"I come from a broken home, I should know, I broke it" Bazooka Joe

Spoke with Bimmer Parts re: their Ultimate Carpet Kit (gray). They report it looks like the original salt and pepper pattern, but have no pictures. If someone out their has their carpet kit installed (gray), would you please post a picture. Thanks.

T.R.

Spoke with Bimmer Parts re: their Ultimate Carpet Kit (gray). They report it looks like the original salt and pepper pattern, but have no pictures. If someone out their has their carpet kit installed (gray), would you please post a picture. Thanks.

T.R.

Here are a couple of pictures of mine. I bought it from Bimmer Parts 4 or 5 years ago, long before they were bought out by Maximillian.

post-91-13667576905571_thumb.jpg

post-91-13667576906397_thumb.jpg

73 - '02

88 - M3

88 - iX