• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dual Side Draft Setup

lsixt

OK,

I have a set of weber 40DCOE's complete with manifolds linkage, etc.

Thing is they don't fit with the stock fuel pump.

I read somewhere that you can't use the stock fuel pump with this setup, so my questions are:

1) What do I need?

2) Anyone out there have the needed parts?

Thanks,

Len

The early pump is the one you can remove the lid from to clean a filter screen inside these pumps are becoming somewhat rare if you go with a electric pump be sure to use a good quality pressure regulator, any large speed shop should have a block off plate it's the same as air cooled VW's use.

Marty

Don't worry about the world ending today,

Hell it's already tomorrow in Australia.

I've been using a Coupe/Bav pump forever (don't believe in over complicating carbed 02s with electric fuel pumps) part # 13 31 1 260 677 brand Pierburg. They have more volume than the 02 pumps (designed for dual carb setup) and 8mm inlets AND 8mm outlets AND should fit well with any dual carb/ Weber DCOE setup.

They use the "early" fuel pump push rod #13 31 1 250 398

Don't forget to use 2 new bushings #13 31 0 075 752

Right now I can't find the proper # for the isolation block that has gaskets on it if you need it I will dig further.

Right now I have to run off to jump start my father-in-law's 89 dodge electricians van..... he left the light on LOL :-)

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

I use the E9/E3 fuel pump as well. I am running ti manifolds and Weber 45's and had to dremel just a wee bit on the back for it to fit around the fuel pump. Never had any fuel starvation issues and it is mechanical so it works, period.

Mike

WOW!

I never knew the old M30 / 6 cyl pump worked - and FIT!

Killer tip Guys!

I thought that the later one pc 2002 pumps only hit the cold start mechanism on the DCOEs...and mine are long gone - replaced with flat Weber plate/covers... am I wrong? Do they hit elsewhere on the carb lid / body?

I ran an early pump with good results - but if the later 6 cyl units work - that's alot easier / cleaner.

FWIW - I run an electric FACET type pump under the rear seat - noisy, and I carry a $40 spare on long trips...'cause I don't trust 'em. Installed mostly to clean up the engine bay last year.

paul

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

Hey Paul,

Mine only hit the cold start and that's what i dremeled a touch. I didn't know they made a plate delete for that section otherwise I would have just used that since I don't use a choke anyway.

It might not be a problem if the manifold is longer than the ti one.

Mike

Pierce Manifolds sells "choke block off plate kits" or "cold start mechanism delete" kits. Nice cad plated covers with paper seal. They're great!

paul

post-2748-13667576869517_thumb.jpg

Paul Wegweiser

Sry boat da missspelin, see ^ i fic id nou. :-)

My Dad tought me that one (about the carbed M30 fuel pumps, not the bad spelling), that's what he and Franz Fechner (RIP) put on the Granada 1600-2 in '88-89 when they built it for my sister. They used them ALL the time in place of the 02 pump, I never knew any different.

post-786-13667576897731_thumb.jpg

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

Thanks all,

RE the isolation block. The stock one (that I have) is about 3/4" tall. Will this work with the M30 fuel pump or do I need a different size?

It would seem to me if the fuel rod is shorter, so too should the isolation block?

If you know the part number for the IB, post it please. I found all the other parts.

Thanks!!!!

same riser block, but the pumps using the shorter rod require it only because the plunger on them is LONGER. (hangs out of the pump farther).

Use Tom's part # info - it's spot on.

Paul

Paul Wegweiser

• 2 weeks later...

Have more questions now.

I got the new fule pump and now the front carb fits without issue.

The push rod, however ended up being the same size of what was in there. I was expecting it to be shorter, but it wasn't. I'm using the original spacing block, which I guess is correct. Actually the spring on the old pump stuck out further than the new pump, so I'm confused about the push rod.

Orientation of the new pump appears to be upside down, but it's the only way the push rod will work. The fuel input is as noted in the picture below. Does this look right?

Either I need to run fuel lines around to the back or can I move the fuel inputs on the carburators (as noted in the picture)?

Now the front carburator hits the water outlet and bypass pipe. Someone said I'd need the bypass pipe from a ti/tii or e21 320i - anyone know a part number?

In hindsight, this is turning out to be more trouble than it may be worth. May be switching to something easier if I can't get this together. Stay tunned - so to speak.

Thanks,

Len

post-1447-13667577323486_thumb.jpg