• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Q for resto guys regarding rubber buffer on door latch....

Craig74tii

I installed the rubber 'guide' on the door latch. The one with the 2 hex screws and the metal plate. I noticed a couple of millimeters of space, like the guide was a little small. I checked another set of latches and the posts where the screws go in is a little shorter, so the rubber should fit snug.

Anybody seen this before?

post-538-13667575106466_thumb.jpg

post-538-13667575107772_thumb.jpg

Craig74tii

1978 Black Trans Am

Mercedes Benz 300CD, 300TD

Jeep Grand Wagoneers

OK that wasn't the best picture to explain what I was asking. Here is a better one.

The post (for lack of a better term) on the left latch is 14mm high, and the post on the right latch is 12mm high.

post-538-13667575149836_thumb.jpg

Craig74tii

1978 Black Trans Am

Jeep Grand Wagoneers

Howdy Craig,

I'm pretty sure two thicknesses are available, believe I've run into this before.

Perhaps early/late model varieties.

Scott A.

San Diego

machinist - A&P - UAV inspector.

'71 1600 parts car, '71 Nevada tii tribute, '73 Polaris automatic in assembly awaiting 5-speed, 3.90 LS and dual 40s

'61 R27 - '74 R90S - '83 R100RS

Must be early vs. late. I threw several latches in the bucket for the plater, so I don't know what is what.

The strange thing is, MT only has one PN for the rubber guide.

Craig74tii

1978 Black Trans Am

Jeep Grand Wagoneers

Well there you go. I learned something new.

I didn't know there were 2 sizes. The PN for the rubber is the same for early and late. Any idea which is which? I thought early was bigger. I wonder why the change. I've never seen this discussed on the board before. I've got several of the metal spacers that I had plated, but I didn't know why I had 2 sizes. Thx.

Craig74tii

1978 Black Trans Am

Jeep Grand Wagoneers

• 2 years later...

bumped (no pun intended) into the same problem and i'm looking for the rubber bumps. Do you happen to know the part number?

thank you,

William

before I found your post...

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,320920/highlight,/

72 BMW 2002tii Inka, Tip Top

92 BMW 318ic, Wolfgang

07 Mini Cooper, MC

72 BMW 2002tii Malaga - stricken

... when I ordered bump stop p/n 51 21 1 823 487, I got a thinner version of what I was expecting (kind of like the opposite of when I see myself on a mirror).

Turns out the posts on the door locks where the rubber bump stops mount are of different depths on my car: On the driver side, 11mm, on the pasenger side, 12.6mm—that's how much they protrude when mounted on the door. This explains why the "new" bump stop I just got fits ok on the driver side, but it is loose on the passenger side.

I am wondering whether BMW at one point changed the locks? One of the old bumps I have is still serviceable, so I can probably not worry about this and go find something else in the car to obsess about.

William

old to the left, new to the right:

L1080334.jpg

passenger side, with "new" bump stop

L1080341.jpg

72 BMW 2002tii Inka, Tip Top

92 BMW 318ic, Wolfgang

07 Mini Cooper, MC

72 BMW 2002tii Malaga - stricken

• 10 years later...

Resurrecting an old thread - curious if anyone has a source for the "thicker" (believed early) version of the door rubber bump stop check...

PN: 51211823487

I'll check with the usual sources but if there is a new PN makes it all easier. I don't see one...

Jason

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!