• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help, 1600 won't start now after getting to work fine (long)

bmw_jeff

Hi Guys,

OK, early last year I had crank-but-no-start issues with my then recently-aquired '67 1602 (all stock). I replaced the following with NEW parts as a major ignition overhaul:

Cap and Rotor

Dist. Condensor

Bosch 6v Coil

Plugs

All Wires

Battery (6volt)

After all this work it started the first time and NEVER failed me for 9 months of driving, using it 2-4 days a week.

Then over the last couple months it was cold and also the car had brake issues so I did not drive it much, only a couple days in a 60 day period until I got the brakes overhauled, so it sat alot outside in the cold and rain (with car cover tho).

So the 2nd day I'm back driving it I take it out to dinner and it starts fine at the house (dead cold) but has trouble starting at the restaurant. It finally starts after many cranks and giving it extra gas while cranking and drives normally on the way home. The next morning it fires right up and I take it to work (10 miles) and it drives perfect, no missing, no lack of acceleration etc. I come out of work last night and it refuses to start, it turns over and over and over again but won't start. A couple times it almost starts but not quite. So I leave it there and come back this morning when it will be cold (and in case I flooded it) and it still won't start. The battery is still charged fine and there was not much gas in the carb so it was not flooded this morning.

What the hell could it be, I've replaced almost everything I can think of? The starter was rebuilt a few years ago, not many miles since then and it seems to be trying to crank the engine over normally. I cleaned the contacts on the cap and rotor last night too. All plug wires were securely attached. Once it starts it runs 100% normal, nothing to indicate a bad Dizzy or plug etc. I'm going to have to have it towed home after work, unless someone has anything I can check that I missed. Thanks!

Jeff
1975 Alfa Romeo GT1300Junior w/1600 transplant (I'm still stuck on 1600's LOL)
2006 M3 White/Red - Orig Owner,6spd,ZCP, sunroof delete
SOLD 1967 1600 #1517644 "Florida"/Brown w/sunroof, SOLD 1968 1600 #1564660, RIP 1970 1600

If there is any chance it flooded try pulling the plugs and turning the car over without the plugs and no gas. Either clean your old plugs or replace with fresh clean set. When I ran Weber 40s on my 1600 it would occasionally flood when starting and the above method was the only way to restart. I carried an extra set of plugs in the car. Most likely it was caused by the intake manifold outlets being larger than the inlets on the head (Cannon intake manifold for the Webers designed for a 2002) which caused fuel to pool.

Pete with 68 1600

You may want to set the choke (if you have one), and you may have to pump the pedal a couple times before you start, and while you are using the starter to get primed. There could be some dirt lodged in the fuel filter etc, and an air leak somewhere along the fuel line. These 02`s are started like in the good ole days. You probably know all this though, Good luck. I notice you have brown seats in that 1600, I,m told the ones I am getting are like new I`ll let you know if you like.

the rubbing block on the points will wear pretty quickly the first few thousand miles--especially if you didn't lube the dizzy cam. Point gap should be .015 thou...check with a feeler gauge and adjust as necessary.

And also make sure there's no moisture on the dizzy cap's insides--a 6V system needs all the help it can get to start a car, so it doesn't take much to throw it off...

Hope that's all it is...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

To me it sounds like a fuel problem, or the carb needs cleaning. If I don't start my motor with Zeniths on it for more than a week it just cranks without turning over.

Although it's not the best for the carb, you might try a shot of either- it's healthier for it than cold cranking the motor.

1973 02 Colorado

1970 2800CS Florida

1989 325ic Bronzit

Yes, I bought it from Roland last spring...

Jeff
SOLD 1967 1600 #1517644 "Florida"/Brown w/sunroof, SOLD 1968 1600 #1564660, RIP 1970 1600

Thanks for the tips. I will check the gap when I get it home and verify, that could be it. The inside of the cap was all dry when I took it off to clean the contacts.

Jeff

Thanks, I'll pull the plugs and check this too, though I have the stock carb and manifolds. But it may have flooded still, I will definately check.

Jeff

Are you talking about sraying some of that Carb help-start stuff in there and then trying it again? Or carb cleaner? I've never used anything like that, I am new to carbs. Thanks, Jeff.

Jeff

Yes, starting fluid. Actually carb cleaner is basically the same thing as starting fluid. Squirt it in the carb for 1 to 2 seconds then try and turn it over. Good luck.

1973 02 Colorado

1970 2800CS Florida

1989 325ic Bronzit