• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Big Brake Drama!!

Supergeek

So I installed Irelands big brake kit on my '76 this morning, and everything went smoothly. I bled the brakes with the help of my Mother and everything seemed cool. When I finished I fired her up to take her for a spin, and there is no brake pressure! None! The front Girling calipers don't even catch. Brake pedal goes all the way to the floor. I know I bled them the right way. What could be causing this? The original brakes worked fine before this. The master cylinder is a Tii unit thats about 3 months old. I checked all the hoses and there all tight. One of the bleed screws did shear off at the top, but it was already tight and no fluid was leaking. I'm stumped. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

David G.

1976 BMW 2002 "Diana" Smog? What smog!!

1998 Nissan 200SX "Sayuki" Can't argue with 35 MPG!!

1987 Nissan 300ZX My Dad's old Z will soon be mine!!

Is there any fluid leaking anywhere? Did you grind the calipers to make them fit?

Sounds like you should invest in a power bleeder. It was the best brake tool I've ever bought. You should also use a screw extractor and replace that sheared screw. If there is air in there you'll never get it out.

'79 & '80 Vespas, R75/6 + R90/6 (and a Triumph), '76 IH Scout II

E36 

'71 VIN: 2574356 - Nevada, Sunroof, RUST and a really nice '76

Two possibilities: 1) Incomplete bleed, as others have noted. 2) Master cylinder bore was damaged by manual bleeding.

The answer to both problems is the Motive Products Power Bleeder (Model 0109) plus the Motive Products Bleeder Bottle (Model 1820). This pair of tools makes brake bleeding a one-person joy, and it's a must for DIY brake work. The manufacturer is http://www.motiveproducts.com/02bleeders.html and you can get its products for less from many parts vendors.

Master cylinder damage is common after pump-the-brake-pedal manual bleeding. It happens when you press the pedal beyond its normal range of travel. The MC bore there can be rough from lack of use, and forcing the piston through there damages the piston seal.

Repair the broken bleed nipple. Get a Power Bleeder and Bottle and bleed the brakes again using all bleed nipples. If the pedal still goes to the floor, assume you need a new MC.

Curt Ingraham

1972 2002tii, 1976 2002

Improved 2002 Radiators

"I know I bled them the right way."

Looks like you did not. Do not blame the MC before you bleed the system PROPERLY. How much fluid did you waste before the pedal got hard? Did you even tested the pedal to be hard before going for a ride?

My best advice would be to have somebody with experience help you on that...

Massivescript_specs.jpg

Brake harder. Go faster.

I'd try bleeding in the correct order:

Clutch first - yes clutch first

Then rear wheel furthest from the MC, then other rear. Then front LHS and finaly RHS. A power bleeder is the best for this as you will need about 2 qts of fluid to do it right. Be careful, no brakes is a big danger, ending in death. Beaner7102

1971 - 2002 RHD VIN 1653940. Agave (stock with Pertronix & 32/36 Weber) - "Cactus"

1972 - 1602 RHD VIN 1554408. Fjord (with 2L motor, 5spd & LSD - Weber 40/40 to come) - "Bluey"

1984 - E30 318i VIN WBAAK320208722176 - stock daily driver

did you seat the shoes against the rotors?

If not, the Volvo (or 528) calipers will take a half-

dozen pumps to move the pistons out and squeeze the rotor.

Otherwise, you might have a leak (heh heh)

or the pistons are self- retracting- do a couple a' pumps

and see if you get pedal.

There are a hundred ways to bleed brakes, and 87 of them work just fine...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL