• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New M3 starter Upgrade

Tiger75

I finished installation last week, but did not get to drive it till this past weekend. The starter really turns the engine to a high cranking speed quickly. Engine starts up almost immediately. I have a Tii and you know how you have to let the electric fuel pump pressure before you crank. Well, mine starts up immediately with out doing that. I will have to let it sit for a week or so and see if it still starts so quickly with out pressuring up the fuel system.

This is a great upgrade.

I highly recommend it!!

Guest Anonymous

E30 body style M3 (the 4 cylinder ones 88-91 era). The main benefit is that it's far smaller and much lighter than the 2002 unit. Will not fit the reinforcing brkt attached to the front of the original one though - but may not need it - since it ways so much less!

makes engine work easier, too!

paul

read this for the wiring problem I had

http://www.thetiiregister.com/phpmyfaq/index.php?action=artikel&cat=19&id=25&artlang=en

I searched FAQ and that other board for all posts on M3 starters. Found a bunch, Best one was

http://home.woh.rr.com/fairacres/Karl/Karl.html

It is a step by step with pictures.

If I did it again I would use allen head bolts as shown at the end of this post

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,282795/highlight,tii+starter+removal/

Will not fit the reinforcing brkt attached to the front of the original one though - but may not need it - since it ways so much less!

I believe that an E21 bracket can be adapted to work - Some say it's not needed and some do. There's a lot of vibration down there and it never hurts to have something with that amount of weight/leverage braced at both ends.

'79 & '80 Vespas, R75/6 + R90/6 (and a Triumph), '76 IH Scout II

E36 

'71 VIN: 2574356 - Nevada, Sunroof, RUST and a really nice '76

I found a used one in Houston for $75 but by the time I would have paid shipping and a rebuild shop , it would cost more than a new one.

I paid $135 for a new one + $55 core charge - really a bosch rebuild, don't think there are any new ones any more.

• 6 years later...
Will not fit the reinforcing brkt attached to the front of the original one though - but may not need it - since it ways so much less!

I believe that an E21 bracket can be adapted to work - Some say it's not needed and some do. There's a lot of vibration down there and it never hurts to have something with that amount of weight/leverage braced at both ends.

Buy one of these and you will have a bracket. 12411308480

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Buy one of these and you will have a bracket. 12411308480

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.