• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Storing the car today, quick question

76white02

I would fear flatspotting before the tire cracking. The cracks are more often times than not are aesthetic. The ideal situation would be to install another set of old wheels/tires. That way you can put your new tires/wheels in plastic bags somewhere in the house.

Cris

Proud member #113

The rides!

www.cardomain.com/ride/792851

www.cardomain.com/ride/792793

i.ve been storing my cars for years and never had a problem but i do start them and just roll them(every 6 weeks or so) a little so the brakes don't lock up also i don't use the E brake

REMEMBER SOME PEOPLE ARE ALIVE SIMPLY BECAUSE IT IS ILLEGAL TO SHOOT THEM

well i just put down a large peice of carpet and parked the car on it. I just inflated the tires to max PSI (35). I'll keep my fingers crossed that they will be alright come spring time.

those wheel mats are pretty neat, is there somewhere online that you can order them?

1976 White 2002

I wouldn't be that concerned of either, flat spots or tire cracking, especially since you have new tires. I've been garaging a NK bimmer or 2002 during the winter months here in western N.Y. for the past 15 years or so and have not had issues with flat spots or tires cracking; I have a detached garage and the floor is concrete. Flat spots are really not an issue with today's tires and you should have no worries about the tires cracking too. Prior to garaging for the winter months here, I fill the gas tank and add stabil, tires at about 30/32 psi all around, make sure there's been a recent oil/filter change, and I take the battery out and leave it on a wood shelf in my basement until spring time. Some folks do a bit more prior to storage but this is really all I've done. Remember to leave the handbrake down and what I've started to do the last few years is once a week/every other week is to depress the clutch pedal a few times.

Tim

'69 2000

Timmer is correct on what he said in his post.

It used to be (15-20 years ago or so) that tire technology would suffer from stuff like this. Certainly in the original days of the 02 that would be a concern but 99% of all/any modern tire will not suffer from flat spots. You can inflate them a bit if you like as some garages (due to temps, etc.) cause tire pressures to drop but don't worry about flat spots.

Other:

I would also either fill the car with fresh gas or use a 'stabil' like product for the tank.

for long term or winter storage I would disconnect the battery to prevent it from discharging.

Come Spring, give it a fresh oil change and you should be good to go.

Poor North American 02ers. They sound like that extra bit of worry. It's good to read similar posts and know that you guys are taking care of them while they hibernate. I don't know what I would do if I couldn't drive Karl for 4-5 months. To say the least, I'm starting to reconsider shipping him over there with me if I ever decide to move.

"My dad was right, it was cheaper just to buy a new car."

'75 Golf Yellow Automatic 2002 with Weber 32/36 DGAV - "Karl"

railwayKarl-1.jpg

best storage:

inflate tires to normal pressure

wash and dry

jack-up car and support on suspension with jack stands

so suspension does not dangle and over extend bushings

cover tires with sheet or dark plastic to protect against sun

wake up in Spring.

17-4933220.JPG

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m