• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Resurrecting a "dead" motor questions.

Dirt

Good morning.

Project rust bucket is getting delivered to my home tomorrow. I stopped by to visit it today and finally was able to open the hood and look inside. I was pleasantly suprised to see that things look really good under the hood. I do know that the motor hasn't been turned over in at least a year if not two. I also know that you can do some serious damage to a motor if you are not careful in how you turn it over the first time.

Before I start it, I'm going to replace the ignition parts (Points, coil, plugs, wires). I'm going to order a Pertronix Ignitor and I'm working with Ireland to get all the parts I need. I'm also going to replace the oil and other fluids, belts and clean the air filter. I'll drain the gas tank, put a gallon of fresh in and change the fuel filter.

I do have some questions though.

1) Do you have a recommendation for what plugs I should use? The motor is basically stock except for a webber carb.

2) I know I should squirt a bit of oil into the combustion chamber to break up the rust before turning the car over. What should I use for that? WD40? Penatrating oil? I'm guessing it might be good to do that a few times and leave some time for it to soak in?

3) When I did this process with my 1983 oldsmobile, I put a socket on the crank bolt and turned the motor a few times by hand in order to get things moving before cranking it over with the starter. I'm planning on doing the same with this motor.

4) Would a little of that cold-start spray (ether) in the carb help the first time I fire it up?

Is there anything else that I've forgotten?

Thanks for helping out the noob.

Pete

Here are my suggestions, for what they are worth...

1) Probably some bosch super W7DC or NGK BP6ES should be fine. Don't get the bosch platinums or the WR7DC. Platinums have a finer point electrode that gums up too easily with a carbed engine and the WR series have an internal resistor that is redundant in the 02. Double check that the guy/gal at Autozone or wherever you go doesn't look up W7DC and give you the Platinum crossreference. I've had that happen. They may have to special order them.

2) Marvel mystery oil would work or a penetrating oil of some kind.

3) You got it, that is a good idea. Alternatively you could just squirt in your oil of choice, let it soak in for a while then put the car in 4th and push it 10 or 20 feet with the plugs out...provided the engine will turn over somewhat easily that is.

4) Maybe. If you can assure that you have gas in the carb float you may not need the ether especially with new plugs, fresh battery etc... But I would dismantle the carb and give it a good clean and make sure your jets aren't clogged or lacquered up after sitting for so long. I had a motorcycle that ran like crap until I realized the main jet had the finest, most transparent layer of lacquer glazed over the jet hole. Took 3 cleanings before I noticed it. It will take the fuel pump a couple seconds to fill the float bowl with gas if you bolt the carb back on with no gas in it.

Hope that is of some help. Good luck. Keep us posted!

brad.

'74 turkis 2002ti(-i)

I just started my 2000CS with tii engine after it had been sitting for over a year. I basically just spun the engine over a few minutes to get the oil circulating and to build up some fuel pressure (tii has an electric fuel pump). It coughed a couple of times. I was a little worried that the battery was going to poop out, so sprayed a blast of starter fluid into the end of the air cleaner and it started. You could smell the old gas, but it ran ok.

Don't use WD-40 as a lubricant - it was designed mostly to dry things out by displacing moisture. If you spray anything into the cylinders I would use either engine oil or maybe Marvel Mystery oil.

In your case, using the starter fluid will verify that the ignition system is working ok if the engine will run on it. It also seems to help the fuel pump draw gas from the tank. But you would probably get the same effect by making sure there was fresh gas in the carb float bowl.

BMWCCA #2762
72 2002/71 2002ti, 67 2000CS, 2x 72 3.0CS
86 635, 2x 05 330Ci ZHP, 
'11 Corvette Grand Sport

I might have gone into over kill but I had plenty of time.

My engine had been sitting for three years. The outside was heavily corroded.

I filled the cylinders with CRC (same as WD40) and let it drain over night. I did this for a few days to ensure I had removed as much internal corrosion as possbile. Then I did the same thing with oil. filled the cylinders let it drain through the engine overnight and did that for a few days. Then I plugged up the sump and filled her up with fresh oil.

Upon starting her up she smoked a tremendous amount. It was quit exciting, the whole neigbour hood came out to see. It was a massive amount of smoke. Im talking covering the street.

I dont know if it did much but I can tell you my unknown history engine burns no oil now and has pretty good compression.

'Old Blu' the 1974 fjord BMW 2002.

"your my boy blu!"

The one thing I'd add-

pull the plugs, and turn the motor over on the starter

until you see oil pressure.

Works for me every time...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL