• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dilemma.......Strip the 76?

cmartin93

I have a 2 cars, a 76 2002 and a 69 1600 and I am wondering what to do with them.

The 76 is straight rust free has a 5 spd, LSD, relatively fresh rebuilt engine, Bilsteins all around, sway bars and lots of other relatively new steering and suspension parts.

The 69 is basically a POS. It has a noisy 4 spd and even louder open dif, no major rust but a pretty shady passenger side quarter panel repair and the paint is pathetic. The suspension is shot and most of the steering components are done.

Originally my plan was to keep two running cars and slowly build up the 69, realizing once a car stops running it tends to stay that way. Plus I love the 76, I did all the work myself (except the engine) and it is a good solid car plus I love inka. Unfortunately the love affair started to go south when I couldn’t get it to pass the CA emissions test.

Now I’m thinking I am being too sentimental? Am I? Should I start stripping the 76 and go full steam with the 69. It would be relatively easy to drop the driveline out of the 76 and slap it onto the 69.

Your thoughts? Strip the 76? Is this a no-brainer?

post-727-13667571210456_thumb.jpg

post-727-13667571211506_thumb.jpg

a straight, virtually rust-free 02 is a car worth saving. i love my '75 02 for that reason. everything works for the most part and those big bumpers are good for parking lots.

about a year ago i bought a '76 02 that failed smog, thinking i'd just scavenge parts from it, i never bothered to title it. it was a $500 car with newish rebuilt engine AND transmission. PO put a bunch of goodies on it. i didn't have the heart to tear it up. i'd been looking for a '74-75 02 for awhile and found my solution for $200. a rusty POS '75 with clear title.

this "ahem" restored '75 02 will be my older brother's car, just as soon as i can find a drill bit and two rivets...

Need i say more??

one more thing: save that 69, you won't regret having both cars, each for their own qualities. i can't wait to join the ranks of the 'roundies'.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

I'm with Z. There are still plenty of crashed or rusted '02s out there and it would be a real shame to kill either one of yours. Mechanicals are plentiful - rust-free bodies aren't so much, any more.

regards,

Zenon

Dudes with names starting wth Z or J are wise it seems .. (props to our moms)

body rust is the killer.. engines and parts can always be found.

Yeah but.............it's a 76 and I live in CA. Right now it's registered as nonop because I can't get it to pass the CA emissions test. Plus I haven't heard if the emissions laws are ever going to change. It really sucks running it with all the emissions junk.

I hear what you guys are saying but owning a non-exempt 02 in CA is no fun. Maybe I look to sell it out of state to fund the 69?

I gotta do something though, I miss having a well sorted 02 to rip around in.

Yeah but.............it's a 76 and I live in CA. Right now it's registered as nonop because I can't get it to pass the CA emissions test. Plus I haven't heard if the emissions laws are ever going to change. It really sucks running it with all the emissions junk.

I hear what you guys are saying but owning a non-exempt 02 in CA is no fun. Maybe I look to sell it out of state to fund the 69?

I gotta do something though, I miss having a well sorted 02 to rip around in.

dang!

where are you in Cali? I'm just accross the border in Oregon... maybe we can register it here and send it south again

I learned a new word yesterday from a fellow '02 FAQ poster. Yesterday's word of the day was "rebody". See Edward's ad in the PARTS section entitled "Body parts, engines, lots of things".Note his comment: "tii engine, complete, low mileage (less than 75000), includes throttle linkage, air can, fuel pump, wiring, distibutor, exhaust manifold, engine mounts etc.-1000.00-I have VIN plate, upper column VIN and inner fender sheet metal VIN if you want to rebody" He doesn't say what year the tii is, but it seems to me that if it is a '74 o'75 you can solve all your problems for $1,000...Put the tii motor in the roundie and "rebody" the '76. Aren't new words fun? Noel

I've got a title and all vin tags from my 74 parts car, I'll even cut the vin out of the front clip if you want it. I will sell it cheap or trade to help you out

Brad Thomas

69 colorado sunroof project/driver

soon to arrive 74 verona(Pat Sloans)

74 agave parts car

email me bcthomas122279@yahoo.com

19a115b7-9760-47c1-af9f-560c2d06e095_zps6ad53ab7.jpg

73 M2 evolving project

77 Datsun 620 king cab hauler

09 XR1200

77 XS650

78 SR500

half dozen ct70s