• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dilemma.......Strip the 76?

cmartin93

J.E. - Thanks for the parts offer but I have everything but the car keeps misfiring during the 25mph test

If it is failing on HCs and misfiring during a low-speed, light throttle cruise condition, it is running way too lean and/or too advanced. Try retarding the ignition timing a bit and seeing how the engine runs at 2000-2500 rpm unloaded (I.E. in neutral, not driving) - a few degrees can make a big difference. At least do some trial and error. The factory timing specs are only a starting point any more owing to big changes in fuels since the '70s and mechanical wear or modifications.

Retarded timing also helps lower HCs (misfiring) at idle with lean mixtures. Consider disconnecting (or stealthily blocking the vacuum hose to) the vacuum advance for the test, as well. I say this because at such a lightly loaded cruise it may be that the throttle plate is hovering over the vacuum port hole in the carb causing some extra (and maybe unsteady) advance leading to misfiring. When you retard timing, the idle speed will drop so you need to compensate with the idle throttle adjustment and then re-tweak the mixture - they all interact.

Save the '76!

regards,

Zenon

'73 2002 Verona (Megasquirt/318i EFI conversion, daily driver)
http://www.zeebuck.com

I'm in CA as well and just had the same smog issue with my newly purchased 76 2002. My mechanic installed a $40 catalytic converter for me and that got it good enough to pass smog. Now I'm working on getting a "test pipe" made up to replace the cat unit, until smog time comes around again.....

I'm also thinking about the "re-body" program to "re-year" my 2002 to a 74 or 75 model. I'm not sure how hard it would be to remove and replace the VIN number section on the inside fender. I'm also not sure that's the only place the VIN number is stamped on the body. The steering column plate is a no brainer due to the pop rivets.

Can any 02 guru's confirm the fender is the only stamped VIN location?

Good luck.

Pat R

Tehachapi, CA

74 2002tii known as "The Pickle"

The stamped number on the fender is the only stamped vin but it poses a significant issue. To do it right a larger section needs to be cut out and a matching piece from a donor needs to be grafted in. If you just cut out around the vin a DMV or CHP inspector could clue in on something. By doing a larger section any seams are further away from the vin and less likely to be noticed.

Done right this it works great, I know of at least a couple Tii's that started life as 02's.