• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dome Light

BimmerSooner

I've owned three '02s and none of them had a working dome light. I always guessed this was a common problem with our beloved machines.

Now I'm determined to get my current one to work. Does anybody know if there is a common cause for this. Faulty dome switch.....faulty door switch....something else?

Thanks!

1972 2002tii

1999 323i

2005 X3 3.0

1. remove pushbutton switch from door frame, note little teeth on back side of pushbutton that make contact with the switch's frame (thus grounding/completing the circuit).

2. Clean teeth and the surface they touch.

3. Replace mounting screw with a stainless steel one.

4. Reinstall switch and your dome light should work.

Note that the non-sunroof dome lights are kinda fragile and can easily be broken when changing bulbs--a PO may have done that so check the housing's condition (and ground) while you're at it.

cheers

mike

• Like 3

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I've got a slightly different domelight problem. (My door switch works after I replaced parts). The slider on my domelight assy itself has broken (aged plastic). I've looked around and can't find a replacement domelight assembly (with the integrated slider switch) anywhere. I'd also like to put a new non-yellowed lens on it too while at it - can't find that either. Are these NLA? or if not, can someone tell me a few sources?

Thx.

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

I've got a slightly different domelight problem. (My door switch works after I replaced parts). The slider on my domelight assy itself has broken (aged plastic). I've looked around and can't find a replacement domelight assembly (with the integrated slider switch) anywhere. I'd also like to put a new non-yellowed lens on it too while at it - can't find that either. Are these NLA? or if not, can someone tell me a few sources?

Thx.

THEY ARE AVAILABLE NEW AT THE DEALER BUT THEY ARE STUPID EXPENSIVE FOR HOW CHEAPLY THEY ARE MADE. I THINK AROUND 35 BUCKS IF I RECALL.

i have a new one if you would like but i need to check the price

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

• 13 years later...
On 9/6/2006 at 8:51 AM, mike said:

1. remove pushbutton switch from door frame, note little teeth on back side of pushbutton that make contact with the switch's frame (thus grounding/completing the circuit).

2. Clean teeth and the surface they touch.

3. Replace mounting screw with a stainless steel one.

4. Reinstall switch and your dome light should work.

Note that the non-sunroof dome lights are kinda fragile and can easily be broken when changing bulbs--a PO may have done that so check the housing's condition (and ground) while you're at it.

cheers

mike

Worked like a charm!

1973 tii, agave, since 1992

1973 tii block 2763759

1967 Mustang GT fastback, since 1986

1999 Toyota 4Runner, 5 speed, ELocker, Supercharged